HybridZ

NEW VIPER T-56's for GM's $2500!

Z-Dreamer

These guys have been around for awhile, even the heavy 3800 pound drag guys are doing ok into the mid-high 10s with the stock T56, thats about thier limit though it seems when on slicks. Mid 10s and below and they start breaking, some last longer than others.

In a lightweight Z car, the trans should see easy high 9s I'd think before problems may arise. With the LS1 T56 stuff though I dunno, people swear they are weaker but they seem to do ok for the most part.

Yep, they have been selling upgraded internals for awhile now though. The input/output shafts however are not compatible, and thier clutch setup isn't the same either.

The 1993 Fbod T56 was rated at 400#, thanks to its first gear. Since I dont drag though it was never a concern for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at the viper tranny and the GM tranny. The viper is geared way ouit of range in my opinion, and the gm counterpart is not rated for enough torque.

I decided on the Ford TKO2 five speed andthatwill do for my car. Guys are running 9 sceond quarters on slicks with that unit. The gearing is close to the T5 in the zxt cars also. 1st gear is a little better, and the topend @ 7K with a 3:71 rear gear set will get you to about 167mph

Not to bad I think. The install is the easyiest to do also. I have just about all the stuff I need to get done to install it in my zx car.

I just spoke with Hanlon motorsports about me having more torque now (450ish?) from my 406 (whenever that happens) and using my Tremec TR-3550. They said no problem, even with the smaller input/output shaft. Especially with only 2700 lbs and at most Drag radials, 10" wide.

I'd think the TKO II would be PLENTY. I like it's .82:1 overdrive too - .68:1 in the TR-3550 and TKO is a bit low for 3.7:1 gears, 26" tires and a 2000-6000 rpm power band (which I feel is good for "hot street").

Guest Want aZ

Pete,

Just to chime in but dont want to change the subject, but I thought you were running a 327?? is this not the case, by the way Your Website is Awesome, so much detail, they should list your site as one for reference in JTR Manual!!!

Hm... well I posted this as a viable option for those of us here that make huge amounts of torque and desire a "real overdrive". The Viper T-56 has a 2.66 first gear that will work great on the street with a Z running 3.36 to say 3.70's. If your gearing is in the 3.90 to 4.10 range, first gear starts to become rather useless, unless your drag racing and/or running a tall/big tire. Also the 6th gear in the Viper T-56 is .50!

Mark

Mark, thanks for posting about the Viper T-56 - good info - especially with the 2.66:1 1st. That .50:1 6th is probably not of much use for highway cruising near legal speeds with any kind of "performance" cam with the typical gearing (3.7:1) and tire diameter a Z has.

The TKO II was brought up as an alternative and I was just echoing some

more info on it's viability. It's less expensive than the Viper T-56's $2500 price tag, to boot. But Tremecs don't shift as nicely as a T-56 either.

Want aZ - thanks for the compliments on my website! BTW, it has a 327 now, but a 406 is being built.

Well I just got the call regarding my tranny. Here is what was done to it and its parts for install.

The company is Keisler Automotive the head guy there is Sheffi, he has done all the work on my tranny. the phone number is (865) 609-8187 tell him Jeff Priddy sent you if you are interested.

The shifter was moved back to 22 1/2" from the front of the tranny. The stock configuration was 19 1/2" so it will fit the car now. The thing that was done with the input shaft was that I sent in a stock roller bearing for the Nissan tranny, and they made a roller bearing to fit the TKO2 input shaft and the Nissan crank. I went this way because the only other way would have been to turn down the input shaft and since they are case hardened it would have made the shaft to soft and you would run the risk of it breaking. (NOTE: I did talk to the guy at Hanlen motorsports and his solution was to turn the shaft down, and I would not recomment this option) The next thing that was done was the throwout bearing on the stock bearing retainer collar. The throwout bearing had to be turned abouut .015 to fit the collar correctly. That is what I did, all of this cost me 2700.00 a few hundred more then just the stock tranny, but well worth the investment, seeing I dont have to hack the car, and all of the stock components for the clutch and bell housing is utilized.

The last three things I will have to do is mate the tranny to the bell housing and do the mounting holes, and I dont see any real problem with that in the least. Mount the tail shaft mount, and again that should be relitively easy. I was thinking of just moving the brackets that are spot welded to the chassis if need be, and make the cross member out of rectangular stock or square stock which ever fits the best. Then the drive line is not a problem, I have the output yoke that is comiong with the tranny, then I got the LSD flange off the Diff and Spicer makes a companion flange that utilizes the 1310 type universal joint. I have a shop that will do the drive line for me for another 200.00 so that is just about it. The very last thing, is the speedo, but there again, since it is the ford tranny, and I have the T5 already, the speedo insert should fit good, and if not I will turn that part down to size as well.

Thats my story and Im sticking to it. LOL