HybridZ

Motorsport Auto V8 kit

I have read a lot about the JTR V8 installations on this message board and have ordered their manual (which is on back order).

Has anyone used the Motorsport Auto V8 mounts and driveshaft? How do these parts compare with the JTR parts and installation process? Is the motor located in the same setback and which kit provides for the easiest installation and best performance?

I'm in the planning/sourcing stage of a V8 conversion in my 78Z. $$$ permitting I will run a ZZ4 HO 350 crate motor, T56 and 3.70 posi. Is anyone running this combination?

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by GAZRNR:

...Has anyone used the Motorsport Auto V8 mounts and driveshaft? How do these parts compare with the JTR parts and installation process? Is the motor located in the same setback and which kit "provides for the easiest installation and best performance?"

I like that marketing line from the Motorsport catalog--it sounds so convincing, except it begs the question: "Compared to what?"

JTR is about as far back as you can put a motor without having it hit the firewall. MSA's kit is quality for sure, but unless they have changed the design from the way it was in the past, the answer is 'no' it is not as optimumly placed as the JTR kit. The beauty of the JTR manual is that they give you diagrams of all the parts you need so you can make them on your own if you wish, have them fabricated by a machine shop, or buy them from JTR. Plus, the manual is terrific for outlining the steps of a complete conversion. Pure gold IMO for the $$ spent. Their book is available from many places besides JTR--numerous shops/stores around the country keep JTR manuals in stock.

I should say welcome to the forum before anything else, but I felt that needed to get answered first. A number of guys run T56 trannys and a number run ZZ4 motors as well. Hopefully a few chime in.

Good luck with your conversion.

Davy

Thanks for the input on the kits. Has anyone done a side by side installation comparison and then been able to drive both with similar engine/trans/rearend equipment? Any pros or cons to either kit?

From all I read so far once you start down the path with either the JTR or MSA kit you need to stay course, at least for that part of the project.

Hey to Georgia Flash 75V8 - I live in Winder...N on 85.

Here are the MSA part numbers for the engine and tranny mounts:

These part numbers are for 70-78 Zs

10-1821 V8 engine & trans mount kit $197.00

includes:

1821ENG V8 engine mount

1821TRNS mount

For a 79-83 Z use part number 10-1822

The V8 conversion Kit includes chevy motor mounts and a rubber trans mount that bolts to the MSA tranny bracket that bolts up in the tunnel. Also the kit includes all mounting bolts and instructions which are not readable. MSA was very helpfull in explaining how to install the mounts. Just email MSA or call them.

Note that the tranny bracket and rubber tranny mount are intended by MSA to install a 700R auto trans, but the bracket and rubber mount bolted to the 89 W.C. Camaro T5 trans perfectly without any mods.

I also used the MSA shorty block huggers

part number 10-1830 @ $169.95 These headers provide good clearence between the header and the steering shaft.

I'll try to post pictures of the motor mounts etc on the forum if someone can tell me how. I have photos of the engine mounts, but will have to dive under the car for some tranny mount photos.

Miles, it's good to know that someone has actually used the MSA kit and is happy with it. The engine mount sounds a bit like a Scarab mount, but 1.5 inches from the firewall is pretty close (I think my JTR kit will make it about 1/2 inch from the firewall, but I still have to get there first). That said, I like the idea of the trans mount being very adjustable (and probably lighter too) while mounting inside the tunnel. I'm not sure what this does for strength with some guys running gobs of horsepower, but it sounds like for the average V8 it would do fine AND be a little more sanitary in the install.

If you are able to post pics sometime, please do so. Also, if you forward some pictures to me, I can get them hosted by a friend nearby so eveyone can see them. Thanks.

Davy

I installed a 74 350 sbc and a 89 W.C. T5 five speed manual trans in my son's 72 240Z using the MSA motor and tranny mounts. The distributor is approx 1.5 inches fron the firewall and the engine is lowered, but not as low as the JTR position. The mounts were easy to install. One advantage to the MSA tranny mount is that it bolts up inside of the trans tunnel rather than flat against the floor as with the JTR mount. The tunnel mount allowed me almost infinate latitude in setting the angle of the tranny output shaft for proper driveline phasing. The tranny was moved up and down with an angle finder attached to the tailstock and when the correct angle was dailed in we bolted the tranny mount to the tunnel. The T5 shifter came up through the stock shifter hole and only required a slight amount of trimming of the drivers side of the tunnel next to the drivers leg. We have had no drive line vibrations with this set up. we are using a B&M shifter on the T5. For cooling we are using a 82 Camaro radiator ($50.00) with a Flex-Lite Black magic electric fan ($250.00) and with a 160 deg. thermostat. Engine runs cool right at 160 deg. Rearend is a 78 280Z R200. We had a local shop make the drive shaft for $65.00. I have a 72 240Z that will be converted using the mounting kit MSA kit.

Guest Anonymous

pics pics pics!! gotta see what it looks like. I want to know what the mounts look like installed and if there is enough room for my 8" fluidamper with MSA kit. please help

The link worked great--nice to see the MSA kit inside an actual car! lol :D Thanks for pics, Miles.

You guys did a very nice detailed job installing everything. The MSA mount looks to be an improvement over the Scarab mounts from what I can tell in the picture, and that's good. I'd love to see the tranny mount and am thinking strongly of changing the JTR mount (I want to do as little 'clearancing' as possible).

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the pics. If you have the kit to do your next conversion already could you plese make a diagram of it. I want to make them to spec myself and add an inch of setback or so to shove the engine back further. From the looks of it I can use 2x2 sqaure stock and make a support like the one MSA has on the back of the mount. Only I will make it 1" tubular. Mount will be a weld in instead of bolt in.

Kendall

You might want to check with MSA about the headers. The MSA "shorty" block huggers look like Hooker headers to me. The MSA headers provide a nice clean fit and there is plenty of clearance between the header and the steering shaft. Per the JTR (Jags That Run) manual you could also machine a pair of ram horn style chevy headers.

MSA: http://www.zcarparts.com/

Miles

Originally posted by pparaska:

Weren't those headers (MSA shorties) found to be actually a set made for older street rods?

Yes, Pete, I do believe you are correct. About one year (?) ago there was a thread on the MSA headers--they (MSA) would not disclose the company making them, but someone turned it up and posted it within the thread. I think the thread was talking about full length headers if I'm not mistaken. If someone cares to do the search I'm sure it can be found. Again, the thread was from some time ago; at least one year.

Davy