HybridZ

Camshaft, Valve Spring choice????

Idnevno

i'm building a 400+ hp l6 turbo motor was curius about people's feelings on proper camshaft brand and specs?? the head i hope to have extrude honed and stainless valves. i have heard of many different cam brands and profiles not quite sure which is better than the other, so far people say Isky is great..... well here are the plans if it helps.... water injection set up, electramotive tec III, 240sx TB, Cartech turbo, external wastegate, 3.5 inch exhaust, Blitz Boost controller, Supra IC, 4.38 gears w/posi, 20+ lbs boost, approximately 25 shot nitrous to help spool turbo (custom made jet) thanx for any info that you all can give me with this project....

"Cartech turbo" is a little vague. 3.5" ex is big, 3" is enough and is easier to get mandrel bends for. I think 4.38 is way to much gear for a street turbo car. I wouldn't do more than a 3.90. If you are just going to do a 25hp shot of nitrous, I wouldn't even bother. I run Schneider springs and have no complaints. I wouldn't bother with water injection if you are running an intercooler unless it's a drag car. It gets old keeping up with filling a tank on a street car. My $.02

the 4.38 gears are to compensate for 16 inch rims should drop me down to a 4.10 or around there. the cartech turbo i believe is a t4 not quite sure though, i can't find any markings or stampings on the cases at all. as for the nitrous the 25 shot is enough to help spool the turbo but more importantly drop the air charge temperature even more without too much of a fear of detonation.

A 16" lo profile tire is still smaller is diameter than a factory 14". Even if you went with an 18" I still think a 4.38 is to low. If you are set on this I would run a 80+ 5 spd as they have the taller 5th gear. If you already have the turbo you can pull the compressor and turbine housing off and measure the wheels then go to the Turbonectics site. Then you'll know what you have. I don't believe nitrous will help reduce the chance of deto, yes it is cold but it also is a power adder which increases the burn rate, and just like with more boost you still need to retard the timing as more is added. I guess it will help spool up the turbo though, but if it is sized correctly then it shouldn't be much of an issue, once you're in the power band there shouldn't be lag and you're good, if you desire alot of boost at a worthless 2000 rpm then it will help. There is a gear calculator here, It's a 4x4 site but it works http://www.cosports.com/fwhldr/equipcalc.htm

I agree on the gear thing, that is crazy. I have a strong disliking for gears that nuts on a small OD tire regardless, I just love doing 3400-3800RPM on the freeway in OD :rolleyes:

Why extrude hone? Why not get a real port job done? Extrude honing is for jobs that are pretty much impossible to get a tool into, and for the most part it is a GIMMICK that will provide little to no result, especially when you can get a die grinder in there with no problems at all.

Well this is the stuff that i have already as spares for another car i am building. the diff is already a built one with 4.38 and it's a posi which has been tightened up not quite sure of the break point of the posi though, i can find out later. as for the tires i would like to put something like a 265 or 275 50 16. not quite sure how big i can go yet. i plan on putting the mid 80's turbo T5 tranny in the car. i figured the gears would help me pull out of a corner alot harder than say a 3.5 or 3.7. but i posted these things here for a reason so i can get a response from other people who have done this or know more about it than i do so i don't end up shelling out alot of time and money and end up with a disappointment in the end. i truly appreciate all the feedback everyone has given me and i hope to get more so i can make the right decision. as far as extrude honing goes i heard second hand that having it done was the best option versus porting myself..... thank you all for your time in reading this and replying with your thoughts.