HybridZ

the dredded rust

Guest Drb26Z

Guest Drb26Z

Hey guys, I was just wondering where are the most common places people have found rust :( on/in their Z's and are there any typical spots that rust occur :?:

Thanx John

Behind the front wheels, in front of the rear wheels, frame rails (scrape away the undercoating...it's there, you just can't see it!!!!), under the battery tray, bottom of doors, under the hatch (rear tray above the tail lights), leading edge of the hood, floors.

That should about cover it!

Tim

Guest Zachb55

I found a good bit of rust underneath the tar coating that was under the passenger and driver seats... these were my worste spots, also i had a good bit in the rear rocker panel on the passenger side, if any water can get in there you are going to have massive rusting.

-Zach

Guest plutovitch

Couple of other places I found rust in my Z was the radiator frame, (ended up cutting out complete front end and welding in a new section), bottom and rear of quarter windows (both frames were rooted as well) and yes in hatch hinge recess there was rust (only on driver side though)One day my baby will come back to me :o one day! :D

Guest plutovitch

Couple of other places I found rust in my Z was the radiator frame, (ended up cutting out complete front end and welding in a new section), bottom and rear of quarter windows (both frames were rooted as well) and yes in hatch hinge recess there was rust (only on driver side though)One day my baby will come back to me :o one day! :D

Guest Anonymous

Is there any part of these cars that doesnt rust up? I just bought a 240z w/ rust, would it be a good idea to strip and sandblast the whole thing despite the obvious work?

Don said it best with regards to where these cars rust

On the body of the car.

If you have the time, patience and oh yes the money it is best to strip these cars all the way down. It is the only way you will know if you have found all the rust. On the other hand if you do a good investigation into all the areas listed above chances are you will be fine. It all depends on the condition of the car you are starting with.

Guest Zachb55

yeah, stripping completely certainly will help, and if you dont have alot of body filler, or dont mind redoing it yourself, then probably either using a paint stripper on the entire car, or getting it dipped in a chemical bath would be your best option, i sanded and used stripper because there was some filler i didnt want to remove, but this might be something ill regret in the future if there is rust under there. The most important thing to make sure of is to be absolutely sure no water gets on the car, especially body filler, when its in its bare state... dont want to clean off all of the rust to make a new fresh car for more rust to devour. :cry:

-Zach