HybridZ

Gotta a 280ZXT engine and a couple of questions.

Jwink25

280ZXT engine going into a 240Z and I got a couple of questions.

I want to make my own downpipe and was wondering if the metal pipe from the EGR valve to the downpipe is needed? Can I get rid of it? Will this effect performance any?

Also, things like the dropping resistor...do I need this? Or will my injectors fry? (I am not sure I have one)

It might just be easier to tell me what has to be hooked up, sensor wise. I thought someone put up a list here but, I could not find it.

Any info on this guys?

Thanks!

Jason

The EGR setup is not needed if you don't plan on using EGR. Read up on it a bit so you know what you plan to disconnect. There are arguments to keep it, but as far as I can see it goes against a lot of the work that we do in making cool charged air. The plus side is, is that you get a more complete burn.

You can remove the valving, and then plug it with a pipe plug, or source out a non EGR intake manifold, such as the 280z federal regulation type, or a Japanese spec 280zx manifold.

I don't remember seeing any dropping resistors in the efi wiring diagram, and did not need to use any on my setup.

There should be lists of sensors that need to be hooked up, I think I've helped complete a list before.. Let me see if I can think of the needed items off the top of my head:

Sensors/components that are needed:

The computer (duh)

Crank angle sensor for `81 setup/Distributor

Fuel injectors

Air flow meter

head temp sensor

coil igniter -grounded (the little black deal on the side of the coil holder)

coil

throttle possition sensor (car may run without this)

O2 sensor (car may run without it)

Knock sensor (not needed to get car running, leave disconnected if yours is shorted)

Also you may use the idle controle unit and the valving that goes along with it, but this is not necessary. It will help raise idle at a cold start, and will raise idle if the A/C compressor is switched on. My car starts on a cold day with no problems, but in CA it really doesn't get that cold.

You may also hook up the fuel pump so that it is modulated by the ECU, but this too is optional.

Some people believe there is a water temp sensor for the efi system, but there isn't. There isn't a speed sensor that effects the efi system in anyways. The efi system does not communicate with the transmission in anyway. The transmission inhibitor switch is part of the chassis harness, not the efi harness.

Feel free to add anything in, this is off the top of my head without looking at the books.

The intake manifolds without the EGR are the N42 that came in Federal Zs '75 and '76. My '78 had an EGR stock, and so did the '77 I believe. It depends on the year of your turbo EFI if you had dropping resistors. I heard the '81 ECU had dropping resistors as well as a separate crank angle sensor on the crank pulley. The '82 ECUs and later do not require and didn't come with the resistors.