HybridZ

Tricks for removing oil filter - 82 ZXT

Mudge

I dont expect much response on this one, but clearances are very tight on the ZXT car near the oil filter area, and this thing is on WICKET tight. Whoever put this on, needs to be kicked :D

I can barely get a strap wrench in there, and I'm worried I'll just crush the filter next go. I have tried sandpaper in both hands to try and twist it off, and I'm not really small either, no go. Next I guess I will buy one of those socket adapters and see if I can twist it off with a slow application of force with a breaker bar, I about expect to break something getting it off.

Above the filter what is that in the way? I see the starter in the area and what looks like an EGR/AIR pump, it routes to over the valve cover with 2 air outlets...

I bought a very large set of channel locks that works great for filters. I also have a craftsman chain wrench that works great as well.

Why are you so concerned about crushing the filter? It`s not like you`re going to reuse it. In a pinch, I`ve even driven a pry bar through them and used that to turn it.

Guest De Schmaydee

...i dont know why people put 'em on so tight.....you can get oil filter sockets (i guess thats what you call 'em) that will go on a ratchet (and the end of the filter).....i'd prbly get one if that thing is on there that tight.....if not .....get the strap up as high as you can (close) to the motor...(its stronger there).....theres a bunch of diff sockets to fit the oil filters...careful which one you get......s

...i dont know why people put 'em on so tight.....you can get oil filter sockets (i guess thats what you call 'em) that will go on a ratchet

Yep, thats what I'm thinking, I'm litterally afraid that I'll break it, but we'll see.

Why are you so concerned about crushing the filter?

Well, it might even make it easier to remove by giving me a grab surface, but it may well not.

As for putting the strap wrench higher, I'd have to remove things. The 280ZXT does not have the oil filter at the same angle as the 240Z, in some ways I see this as good, but with all the added crap in the area it really makes sticking even 2 hands up there pretty tough for me.

Is that thing you were talking about in the first post a black fan with two plastic air outlets over the valve cover? You can remove that for your oil change if you want. It's just a fan to prevent vapor lock on really hot days. I don't even know if you need it, here in San Diego, the weather gets pretty hot in the summer and I've yet to see this thing turn on. Anyway, I hope you got the filter off, last time I borrowed a friend's driveup ramp to get under the car and did it.

John

Is that thing you were talking about in the first post a black fan with two plastic air outlets over the valve cover? You can remove that for your oil change if you want. It's just a fan to prevent vapor lock on really hot days.

Oh ok, it doesn't get hot here like San Diego at all, but maybe it would kick in on track days, Thunderhill I've seen hit close to 90º, plus tooling around the track, hmm.

Ram a screw driver through it and turn. Just make sure you put the screw driver in where you can still turn it. Works every time on a stuck filter!

Maybe I can grab a phillips and do that, I think I can do it from above, as for a screwdriver I'll save that as a last resort because I really wouldn't want to mess one up, maybe the Phillips wouldn't go through as well as a screwdriver.

I used my big jack to get it pretty far off the ground so I could get both hands around it, maybe I just need a bigger sheet of sandpaper.

Guest De Schmaydee

.....i have an 82zxt ...i always take mine off from the top....you can get the strap wrench on it all the way at the rim.....cant get much of a big-turn on it (but several little turns will do it)... you dont have to turn it much to get it loose....i would use the jab & tear method last.......s

how on earth are you having so much trubble I always get mine off of my zxt with the oil cooler attachment. I also don't have the dumb blower and I have different oil cooler lines that runs to a second gen turbo rx7 really big no oil temp problems at all. I just reach down in there and get it out.

tbs

Mudge,

Absolutely use the screwdriver method as a last resort. I've had it happed before that the screwdriver just ripped up the filter and it still didn't turn off. Then you really have a job on your hands!!!

Tim

how on earth are you having so much trubble I always get mine off of my zxt with the oil cooler attachment. I also don't have the dumb blower and I have different oil cooler lines that runs to a second gen turbo rx7 really big no oil temp problems at all. I just reach down in there and get it out.

You mean your pulling the oil cooler and the filter at the same time??? If you dont have that blower in the way that sounds KEY, even with it, it almost looks like I could do it from the top but I cannot, from top or bottom with the strap-on ;) I can move about 2" Sounds like I will remove the blower and keep it just incase I need it.

Mudge' date='

Absolutely use the screwdriver method as a last resort.[/quote']

Thanks Tim, I will definately try to use another method first, I dont see a reason that it wont come off eventually, I guess I will start by removing that blower motor.