HybridZ

finally... some pics of my 377 swap in my 240

hey guys,

i finally got some pics developed and put on disc from my engine swap. the pics are hosted on imagestation:

www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292109801

here's what's in the 377

*canfield aluminum heads - 2.055 intake/1.60 exhaust valves, 65 cc combustion chambers, 200cc intake runners

*comp cams magnum mechanical roller - part# 12-702-8, 2500-6500rpm, cam grind 280ar, 236/236 @.050, 110 lsa

*comp cams roller lifters, high-tech pushrods

*comp cams springs, retainers, 10 degree locks, arp screw-in studs, canfield guideplates

*silvolite keith black hyp. pistons - 0.30 over, 3.48 stroke, 4.155 bore

*crane gold 1.5 roller rockers

*arp stainless steel bolts throughout (engine kit plus head bolts, main studs, flexplate bolts, converter bolts, oil pump stud, etc.)

*arp 12-point poly locks

*summit stage 2 rods (good for up to 450 hp....)

*weiand stealth manifold (idle-6800)

*holley 3310 vaccuum secondary 750 cfm (silver finish) - the pics, however, show a holly 6708 650cfm double pumper

*tci flexplate

*b&m holeshot 2400 converter

*cloyes hex-adjust true roller timing chain

*chevy cast 350 crank (welded up and turned back down for the 400 block)

*clevite race bearings (tri-metal)

*melling m55a high volume oil pump

*milodon oil pan (with windage tray, oil baffles)

*milodon timing cover

*msd hei distributor

*moroso custom fit 8mm spiral core race plugwires

*taylor 10mm blue wire separators (because of insulation sleeves on 8mm wires)

*edelbrock victor series water pump

*march performance serpentine kit, high water flow ratio

*yada, yada, yada....

everything is balanced and runs smoother than a sewing machine. i dont have dyno numbers, but est. horsepower is around 430 hp. if someone has dyno software, please let me know what it gives for this combination.

headers are rw37 blockhuggers for angle-plug heads from zigsstreetrods.com. the collector had to be cut off since it wouldnt clear the steering arm. the exhaust man bent a section of pipe with a new collector to wrap around the arm and be nicely out of the way. icon_biggrin.gif

i actually had another roll of film with better pics of the car, the 350 that used to be in it, and the interior. i had taken two rolls of pics for this motor swap. the first roll is the one that i lost. the second roll is what is in the photo album. these are the shots right after the 377 was set in. there are several shots of the car on the rack when it was at the exhaust shop. oh well, i think it's time to break down and get a digital camera. hopefully i will find that other roll of film soon and get that up, too. i'll take more pics soon and let you guys know when they are posted on imagestation. still working on the website....

lates,

ryan flamedevil.gif

I ran that combo through my computer progran and ASSUMEING you have full lenght headers you did not mention in your spec sheet that engine should put out close to 465hp and 468 ft lbs (VERY WELL MATCHED COMBO!)MTW swapping to a victory type intake like the #2925 shows a boost in top end hp to 490hp/498 tq

hey,

thanks guys! pete, it's a 377, not a 383. and yeah, the guesstimate of 430 was conservative. and it is a bit of a tire killer, hehe... kinda scary in the rain. thanks for running the numbers, grumpyvette (thumbs down??). i'm not running full length headers (yet). they are shorty block huggers for angled plug heads. you can see them in the pics.

thanks again!

ryan icon_biggrin.gif

Very nice!

You must be happy with the end result, i know i would be.

What muffler are you running and can u describe the sound and how loud it is at idle/WOT/cruise?

Keep up the good work and enjoy your supercar icon_biggrin.gif

Jason

***I just found a pic that said its a FlowMaster 2chamber...man that thing must ROAR!***

yeah racin_jason, i'm pretty happy with the "end" result. there are still lots of plans on the table, but she's getting there.

as far as the sound of the exhaust, it is pretty loud. it's hard to describe a sound, but it's really smooth and not really as radical as i thought it would be. it's also kinda hard to tell from inside the car what it sounds like to everyone else. i've always had loud cars, though, so i'm really not the best judge.

i had dual 2.5" exhaust with three chamber flowmasters on my 350 (about 330 hp) and that was pretty loud... but this is louder than that. i will say that whenever i pull up to a stoplight, everyone looks after hearing it first. and it's usually that "what the heck is making that noise" looks... even from three cars in front of me.

but, a friend of mine has a 240 with a 400 sbc and dual 3" two-chamber flowmasters. his car is a bit louder than mine. his car frightens children and small woodland creatures alike when he starts it up.

brad, you're welcome to come see it in person. i actually live in stockbridge (exit 228 on I-75), though... that's about 45 minutes to an hour from marietta, depending on our wonderful atl traffic. sorry i didnt have an email link up. i'll change that after posting this message. next weekend is good for me, so just let me know.

this was done about two years ago.... but, after about four cans of gunk and lots of scrubbing with a brush, the engine compartment was painted with silver 'bumper and trim paint' off the shelf from pep boys. the inner fenders were painted with this paint, but the firewall wasnt painted. there is some black paint on the frame rails and part of the radiator support.

i used the same silver paint on the kaminari front spoiler and the hood. i ended up with a slightly darker shade on the hood, though... poor man's paint job = too much money spent on the engine. paint and bodywork are on the list of things to do. the list keeps getting bigger, though....

quote:

Originally posted by nullbound:

hey,

thanks guys! pete, it's a 377, not a 383. and

Doh. Actually, I like the 377 better. If I build another motor, it'll probably be a 377 or 382 (3.5" stroke) using a World or Sportsman block.

I bet that thing is a hoot to drive!

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Hey Nullbound! Another GA guy. You probably live 10-15 minutes from my girlfriend's house (Lake Spivey area). You wouldn't happen to live on Hwy 138 would you, on the right going out of Stockbridge?

hehe, i was surprised to see this thread back to current.

lt1240z, i would happen to live on 138, on the right leaving stockbridge, hehe. 2thumbs.gif stop by sometime and we can compare notes. evenings after 4 are usually best. email me if you know in advance you are coming.

Guest timhypo

What size wheels and tires are you running? Do you know the backspacing? Are you running coilovers? I'm not usually a fan of hood scoops, even cowls, but I really like the look of yours with the stance.

hi timhypo,

the wheels are weld draglites, ordered from jeg's. fronts are 15x6, 3.5" backspacing, 205/60-15 BFG. rears are 15x8, 3.5" backspacing on 235/60-15 BFG. i think the stance is almost right... i think the front needs to be a little lower.

i'm not running coilovers at the moment, but i am considering it. i want to do a 5-lug conversion with coilovers and then use american racing Torq-thrust II's - 17x7 on the front and 18x9 on the rear. but, then again, i may sell the car and start over. anyone? anyone? wink, wink, grin, grin, nudge, nudge.....

thanks on the hood. i am a big fan of this one. didnt have the hood for a while with my 350, but i always thought a 2" cleaner looked sort of mickey-mousish on the motor. it does go well with the stance IMO, too.

Guest jwelch

Hi Nullbound,

Looks nice! how well does it handle. I noticed you went with the Scarab setup. I also have the Scarab but have thought about changing to the JTR although I don't have near the HP you are running. Just wondering if it is worth the time

Regards

John

77 280V8Z

69 Dodge Charger 383

rockon.gif