HybridZ

Custom Hoods - what looks awesome on Z's?

260ZRED

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 240hybrid

I was looking into MSA's louvered vent hood. Looks as if it should move alot of air, keeping it somewhat cooler in the engine bay. $400 and the shipping is probalbly about $40-$50 being by truck. Im still looking around though, dont have the $ for a new hood anyways. Stock is good enough for me for now.

Hey adam what diameter is that sidepipe, 3" I.D. ? Also is there some kind of muffler built into the pipes and if so how do they sound?

Chase

Guest BigWhyteDude

what about an old sheiker(SP?) hood? You know the ones with the scoop on the carb and a hole cut in the hood for clearance.

You mean a shaker? The sort that bolts onto the top of the air cleaner housing and sticks through the hood, so it shakes back and forth when you're idling?

Someone's done that on a Z, I seem to remember. I wish I could supply pictures, but I've slept since then. As I recall, it looked pretty cool. I think they stole the piece off an old Plymouth, or something.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Regarding those side pipes, the kit doesnt appear to include a flexible exhaust line for coming off of the header. When you rev the engine do you have any trouble with the torquing of the exhaust?

Guest Anonymous

Keep in mind that, at speed, there is a high preasure zone above the hood, and air is actually forced into any opening. A better "out hole" for hot air would be the fenders, behind the front wheels. This is also advantagous for drifting, because the air caught by the wheel well has somewhere to go besides under the car.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I have a 75 280z to were a 351w is going to be sitting soon backed with a t-5. I'm wanting to make or find a hood that has ram air. I've looked at the fiber glass hoods in here but they are cowl hoods. I have a body kit that I haven't seen on anyone elses z anywhere on the net so I'm looking for some orignal ideas for the hood. The 2 cars that are in these pagers do not appear to be able to realy be ram air.

Any ideas for what I maybe looking for?