HybridZ

turbo clutch conversion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

im putting an 82zxt motor out of a 2+2 automatic into a '77 coupe with a 4spd. I would like to retian the 4spd but i need to replace the cluch. will the flywheel from the 77 bolt to the 82? also im thinking i should use a turbo clutch will that work with the 77 tranny input shaft? if i did use a turbo clutch could i use the 77 non-turbo flywheel? if anyone has any sugestions on any of this i would greatly appretiate it.

Guest Anonymous

Hey mudge, a turbo clutch wont work with a stock fly wheel, so will a new stock clutch for a '77 280 be able to handle the torque of a stock turbo motor, or should i get a turbo flywheel and use the tubo clutch? if i did use a turbo clutch/flywheel will everything else bolt up, and which throwout bearing should i use in that case?

I dont see why a standard clutch for the 2.8L wouldn't work with the power of a stock turbo car, but how long are you going to be stock? A couple upgrades and you could be pumping out another 25% power, and I dont know how much headroom is in these clutches stock. They are a fair size for such a small engine, but again with a couple mods and your looking at V8 torque. If your going to drag race it you will especially appreciate a good clutch, if you road race or just casually drive it with some hot footing now and then, it wont be as critical.

I think your best bet is to hunt down a 2+2 or turbo flywheel (they are the same size 240mm). With even a few pounds more boost over stock and I think from what I've heard a stock clutch wont like it for long, but it again probably depends on your use of the car.

Feel very free to get more opinions on that though, as I dont even have the turbo setup in my car yet! Len168/FL327 said his clutch was holding until he got slicks recently, and I believe he is at stock boost levels right now. The more hook and the more driveline stress.

If you are going to remove the flywheel and resurface it, you might as well pick up a 240mm flywheel. This will save you from doing it twice. I had a 225mm flywheel and stock clutch and it was slipping on 4th gear pulls on the freeway at 8 or 9psi. Just upgraded to a 240mm flywheel and ACT clutch. I'm still in the process of breaking it in but there is a noticable diference in holding power.

If you are staying with the 4 speed, you may have to change the TO bearing collar if you use a ZX clutch. I think the 4 speeds and 5 speed trannys used different collars. Everything else should bolt right up.

• 2 years later...
I am going to try to put the turbo flywheel and clutch on my car with a 76 4 speed tranny. Where can I get this collar?

I have actually done this swap I had a automatic turbo motor with a ZX n/a 5 speed. I purchased the throwout bearing, collar and clutch fork for a 2+2 from local parts store and a fidanza flywheel 240mm (can be used for either clutch). I initially had the 225mm but slipped bad so I upgraded with the bigger clutch/flywheel. Now I have the stock pressure plate and 6 puck clutch .....still slips if i boost higher than 12psi. I will have to buy a better pressure plate to handle more HP since i will intercool my 240 soon. Remember to take the Spacer in the crankshaft because that tends to cause alot of problems.