HybridZ

fwd drive is better?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i think one of you said something along the lines of front wheel drive being better... how is that possible? rear wheel drive is known to have better traction off the line.. the simple physics of it point to rwd being a better performance car, please explain your logic in this

More efficient for MPG and generally better in the wet, other than that, FWD sucks to me. If you have to work on the front "axle" of the car, you aren't really just supposed to replace peices because its balanced as an assembly, $$$. CV boots can go bad, but they are a maintenance item, I just dont like FWD other than for an econo-box.

Torque steer (even with my 72 HP/90TQ beater), less traction during racing since your drive wheels are your steering wheels.

For street vehicles under 250 horsepower I feel front wheel drive IS better then rear wheel drive from a handling, perofrmance, and safety standpoint. To back up my assertion, take a look at SCCA's World Challenge Touring racing series.

Now, I wait for Dan's reply...

Guest Zachb55

I got me a Protege5, well its my parents' car but you get the point, and just got done driving it back here in some wicked rain, never breaks loose but the only problem is its really light and hydroplanes sometimes, oh well, you can still go really fast without having to worry alot about it. very worth it for a light, low hp car, like one of those or a honda. makes for some awesome handling, light weight, and cheap to make/buy... but i couldnt see having a 700hp protege, or honda... that would be a little weird i think. :?

-Zach

I remember watching one of the Speedvision (before FOX bought it and made 8 hours of NASCAR a day) challenge series races (with the Realtime Integras) and it was raining. I believe Derek Daly mentioned something about the FWD cars having a much easier time in the rain. It was pretty evident too, because the Realtime Integra was leading the race. Anyway, just something I heard.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ON3GO

hey guys im doing a report on the advantages and disadvantages of FWD, AWD, and RWD.

if you guys have any say or info on this let me no. :)

thanks

mike

Guest ON3GO

well like i said im doing a report on the advantages and disadvantages of RWD, FWD, and awd.... if i just state these things i wont get the great grade... if anybody has like links of websites that shows tests down to all 3, and ppls ideas on them with facts to back them up that would be great.

mike

If you want to discuss the performance aspects of FWD, RWD, and AWD I suggest you look at SCCA's World Challenge Touring series. Compare the race results for the past couple years showing wins by driveline configuration. You can also look at NASA's PCTCC series where Gary Sheehan won the championship last year ina Subaru WRX and the current champ is driving a 3 series BMW.

For some older information check the European Touring Car Championships from the early to mid-1990s. A web search should get you the information about the race series listed above. Be sure to note any rewards weight and partity enhancements that the sanctioning bodies give to the vehciles.

As you said, broad statements about which is better are useless and will get you a failing grade. In fact, any conclusion that you make stating which is better will get you a failing grade. It all depends on the application.