HybridZ

Turbo swap in progress

Mudge

Today I found out I only have until sunday night to basically get everything swapped over, unless I somehow kiss my landlords behind, but I may as well try and get the project over with I spose. I have to thank Len for not only finding the car for me, but helping a Znewb through various questions.

I have the radiator removed, and am looking at what I can remove from the front, like AC and PS. Looks doable, although I didn't notice yet if the alternator has a tensioner on it, or if the only tensioner is the one towards the center, which I'm not even sure if I have...

The oil cooler, looks like it goes to some kind of canister, that almost looks like an EVAP canister, is it just a cooler or is it some multifunction unit?

Does anyone know, if the downpipe and full exaust of the 280ZXT will fit the 240Z?

album_pic.php?pic_id=329

album_pic.php?pic_id=328

album_pic.php?pic_id=327

I am guessing that the exaust will not work 100%, nobody seems to keep the stock downpipe even temporarily that I can tell. I have been through the archives...

Front right of the engine bay, can anyone tell me what this canister does? I cannot see it on any ZXT-->240Z swap cars, yet it looks like oil cooler plumbing goes into it? It seems to be some kind of EVAP canister though?

keep the downpipe. cut the exhaust behind the dp doughnut, i think im the only guy left with a stock dp.

leave stuff you dont know for sure you need alone, until its time to pull it

and gimmie a ring and tell me whens good to come by for the pull.

Guest livewire23

hey, we hostin some kind of official pull party? :D BTW mudge, the little words at the right say you're a hybridZ Master, so you can't use "I'm a noob" as an excuse any more. :lol:

Thanks Len, I think I am going to try for saturday, but I dont know your schedule, I also need to rent or buy a hoist still. If I can save $100+ by renting one then I should do that, especially since I might have to start replacing things...

I'm looking at pumps and injectors on eBay now. I am hoping/thinking that I can use the gas tank but I dont know how smart or stupid that may be, and I dont know if the fuel inlet will line up with my 73 car(?), otherwise I have the line issue, at least the return line it looks like is too small to be used.

As long as I can drop everything in then I suppose I can deal with whatever later, it just means I will be carless for awhile unless I get the Camaro running or something, argh. I'd like to RTV the oil pan while its out too if possible.

hey, we hostin some kind of official pull party? :D BTW mudge, the little words at the right say you're a hybridZ Master[/i'], so you can't use "I'm a noob" as an excuse any more. :lol:

Ha! Things on the Camaro that I've done, I have done several times, so I am just nervous being pushed into a wall here time wise, plus I AM still rather a newb at this car, I just post alot (thats mostly true) :D

Len, what kind of beer do you like? I hardly drink at all but I am an MGD guy when the time comes. I'll pay for your gas of course to come and help, and beer is on me, I imagine pizza should be in the works as well, there is a round table nearby.

As long as things didn't get too rowdy I dont mind more help at all, especially if you think you might want something off the car like a fender or something. Len has first pick of items, and the car obviously can't be stripped to hell unfortunately because it has to be able to roll. I wanted the wheels but I only have 2 spares at the moment, so I'll take what I can. I am also going to attempt to steal the 3.54 rear and put in the 3.90 so it can roll away.

They are also going to tow it at my expense, so I may need your bud Len to take it to the 'yard' for me.

Guest livewire23

hey, Look A Z from these boards should be coming into possession of hoist and stand that I might have access to real soon. How soon do you need it? I can talk to him about using the hoist. Only downside is that I dont think we could get it before monday.

Shoot, that would have been sweet. I did see that an east bayer had/has a hoist but yeah I unfortunately have to do all this by sunday night as they will tow it monday morning if the car is still here, crappy.

I can buy one for $149 if I have to, or I will try to rent one, since I am not sure how much I will have to replace and how fast on the car, the turbo is in question...

Guest livewire23

well its too bad that you're in such a hurry. otherwise I also might've been able to grab to 3.90 and swap in a R180 so that it still rolls. No need to let a perfectly good R200 go to waste right? But there's no way I'll be able to get the r180 pulled in time.

Yeah, I know, I guess I should have expected it and should have planned on doing the swap ASAP, oh well. I have one for sure R200 that is a 3.90, and the one in the car currently I am almost %100 positive is a 3.90 but I do not know for sure, my RPM with the 5th speed says 3.90 all over it according to calculations. I do 3400-3800 on the freeway in 5th (.864).

Guest livewire23

well, it sucks to let this go to waste. can't you use a broomstick to keep the wheels together or something? :) Which side of the bay are you on? If you guys decide to do this on saturday, I'm not working, I'd love to get some preliminary experience in swapping one out, so that when I do mine I'll be ready.

Oh by the way, Philanthropy from these boards is the one who needs the r200. I've got a 280z, but according to our agreement, he's supposed to swap diffs with me when he gets the time. So I guess it would be easier just to find him another one so i can keep my current one.

94080 http://maps.lycos.com :) I'm in South San Fran, about 15 miles south of San Fran. If your familiar with daly city/san bruno I'm in between.

Len thinks maybe the rear doesn't even have to be in, I'm not sure how all that works. It would be funny, and kind of f'ed up if the tow truck was taking it away and the wheels flew off :D Actually that could be dangerous, doh. The parts I have "for sale/trade" seem to move so slowly that losing one or two is not a huge deal...

forget the diff swap' date=' thatl take too long, we'll find you a 3.54 somewhere

gimmie a ring.[/quote']

Yeah, I thougth about that too, have so much other stuff to do that maybe its not worth the hassle. I'll buzz you tonight then probably, I'm heading home right now...

I am hoping/thinking that I can use the gas tank but I dont know how smart or stupid that may be' date=' and I dont know if the fuel inlet will line up with my 73 car(?), otherwise I have the line issue, at least the return line it looks like is too small to be used.[/quote']

The 73' return will work with a stock pump. If you put on a big pump it will not allow enough fuel to return at idle. I tried this and had 65psi when it should have been about 36psi. It's alot easier to run a new line with the motor and trans out of the way, I would change it while you have easy access to the trans tunnel.

Hey guys, you can pull the diff. The car doesn't need one to roll. I would also pull the CV halfshafts as they are worth something to the right person. Also, grab the rear disks, master cylinder, and calipers. They don't have to be on the car either for it to roll :D All of this stuff can go into the 240!

Guest livewire23

well, send me an email at kitotaylor@earthlink.net if you decide you wouldn't mind a couple of extra hands. I haven't been down to SSF in a while... Would be a good excuse to get some good grub.

I think len's point is that it'll take us too much time. Whcih reminds me, mudge, you've got air tools right?

Nope, I do have a big air compressor available to me, but I haven't had the need for air tools just yet. I am cheap and have always found a way around it, plus I dont have much electricity available to me down there :( I have a 400w power inverter and that wont supply the juice, I just use it for lightning or my little cutting tool which I hardly need down there. I do have a propane torch which comes in handy on some bolts now.

I have a twice pipes that will come off the car too if someone wants it.

Guest livewire23

Well, if you feel you're gonna need air tools to do the job, I've got a 30 gallon air compressor and an impact wrench that I could probably haul out there with me. Might make the job easier. Old Z bolts have an odd habit of being stuck on :roll:

I have heard of a few things, like the pin in the transverse link. This car to some extent has been taken a part abit due to a blown head gasket a few years ago, so I am lucky that most of the bolts seem fairly free. I took off an "easily" acessable downpipe nut the other day, so far so good... The only thing is I realize I am going to need more metric sockets now! I at least have the common ones, but much of what I have is american.