HybridZ

rear disk conversion

I've not heard of 240sx brackets? You can use the 240sx calipers with the brakets from Ross, or use the Maxima brakets with the 280zx calipers and rotors, which I am doing. The advantage to the 240sx setup is the ability to retain the e-brake, which you can't easily do with the 280zx setup.

Tim

should I just use the maxima brackets or is there a better way to set everything up?

Sure, if you can find them. The part number was even posted for the correct bracket, however the dealer wont have it, unless you are somehow very lucky. IIRC there is only one year bracket that fits, so finding it in a junkyard is going to take you quite awhile, and with that you may as well just make or buy the bracket.

the package i'm going to be using is the one from ross at modern motorsports. It looks good and is easy to install. there is also more brake pad contact area on the 240sx calipers. ross's kit also works well with his 280zxt and z31 cv axle adapter kit which i am purchasing this week.

More contact than with shoes? I dont know about that, but regardless - the rear brakes dont suck on these cars, what sucks is MAINTENANCE. Especially on a car that hasn't had the brakes done in awhile, my hub and drum were frozen together and it took me hours of work to change the shoes, including having to remove a portion of the rear end to take to a suitable location to bang the crap out of it and so on.

Get some mean front brakes (and I dont mean 4 piston on stock lame rotors), and big tires, then you can use the brakes!

sorry i wasn't clear. more contact area on the 240sx calipers compared to the 280zx calipers not the drums. my z sat for 1 year and i had to destroy the drum on the passenger side to get it off. luckily i was taking them off to do the conversion.

The advantage to the 240sx setup is the ability to retain the e-brake' date=' which you can't easily do with the 280zx setup.

Tim[/quote']

Tim, don't be shy :wink: , we know their might be just one more advantage :wink: ....greater swept area, later model calipers still often in fine shape used and available in yards, pad size greater than early 280ZX calipers, non-symmetrical brackets allow fine ebrake hookup AND geometry, rotor diameter-increased leverage-decreased wear/caliper position provides clearance for CV's/ KVR pads give improved friction-modulation AND longevity combined with the kickass Brembo rotors. That's it in a nutshell....long version here

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/xtrainfo/reardisk.htm

and here

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2

hopping off my soapbox now

non-symmetrical brackets

You mean as in right vs. left? I bought a set of your brackets from another member but haven't put them on yet. Is it obvious which bracket goes on which side or are they labeled? I haven't looked at your installation instructions in great detail.... maybe I will have to.

Guest battg8r

I received my conversion kit and master bushing kit from Ross C last week. Very nice stuff. Unfortunenately, my calipers need to be rebuilt and I'm having trouble finding the right kit. I'm trying not to spend the money on new loaded calipers when the set I have only needs a couple of o-rings and a dust boot.

But, I have to recommend the the conversion kit from Modern-Motorsports. Like I said, it's very nice stuff.

Thanks guys.. I might go with the 280zx rear brakes first. cause I can do it for cheaper. I got a set of rear calipers free and I have a line on the maxima brakets. I will prolly be going with the modern motorsports brackets when I get the money up..Thanks agian!!

Just want to add another advantage to going rear disks. The wheel stays with the car when the stub axle breaks. There is a brown '73 around the corner from me with a smashed fender where the tire went into it. Ask some of the road racers here about the same thing.

I got a set of rear 280ZX calipers free and I have a line on the maxima brakets.

Please thoroughly check the caliper's condition.....I've rebuilt my own OEM on my 280zx and then once had to actually replace it as the ebrake cam function broke in an odd way.....it's well worth your time to carefully pop out the piston and install new seals on calipers like the 280ZX that are now 20+ yrs old. Verify ebrake mechanism is functioning well as my own just snapped once without any direct reason known.

I received my conversion kit and master bushing kit from Ross C last week. Very nice stuff. Unfortunenately' date=' my calipers need to be rebuilt and I'm having trouble finding the right kit. I'm trying not to spend the money on new loaded calipers when the set I have only needs a couple of o-rings and a dust boot.

But, I have to recommend the the conversion kit from Modern-Motorsports. Like I said, it's very nice stuff.[/quote']

Batt, have you found the caliper rebuild kits yet? If not I can easily send a couple out to you ASAP......email me directly if you need 'em. If I'd known you needed them I'd have piped up earlier to send them out with the 1st setup. No worries, let me know.

Guest battg8r

Ross,

I ended up with some remanufactured calipers, used the old ones for the core charge. Thanks anyway.

I will be getting with you soon about the proportioning vavle. Other than that the conversion is going fine.

Anyone know of a rear caliper w/e-brake that will fit over a .830" rotor?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of going with Toyota Supra 12" rotors on the rear of my Z, as I have already converted the fronts to Supra rotors. I realize this may be a bit excessive, I'll just bias them down a lot, and they should last forever.

Mike

I don't know if rear rotors go that thick. Most I have seen are 0.750".

for example:

'88 Mazda RX-7 (with 5-bolt hubs) rear rotor is vented & 0.750" thick.

Its rear caliper has e-brake.

Toyota Supra (with 4-bolt hubs) rear vented rotor is .750, but a separate e-brake inside the hat.

Sterling (Acura) by Honda (with 4-bolt hubs) rear vented rotor is 0.750".