HybridZ

R-200 swap problem

74Adam

I posted this on Z-car.com and didn't get too many responses, so I am hoping you guys can help. I really appreciate it:

Ok, I am swapping in a 3.9 R-200 into my early 74 model. I got all the parts from Jerry at all Z east in Ft. Worth. I have dealt with Jerry many times and always been pleased with his knowledge and service, but I think he made a mistake. I was very specific about what I was going to do and he seemed to know exactly what to give me but I think I got the wrong halfshafts. When I lowered the car back down it won't go all the way down. Obviously the shorter drivers side halfshaft is too long. The reason for this post is that I after looking on some website that has the R-200 swap detailed I noticed the following difference: my R-200 doesn't have the "splined" outlets on the sides, it has a four bolt flange. The halfshafts he gave me have four bolt flanges on both ends (obviously). I could tell at the time that both halfshafts were the same length, and I asked about that, but he said it would work. Anyway, I obviously need different halfshafts, but I don't know what to ask for now. Everything else bolted up fine, by the way.

Appreciate the help.

-Adam

P.S.-I would still do business with Jerry anytime, I just think he may have made a mistake here.

I'm not sure I know what's wrong, but it sounds like you have the right parts.

All the halfshafts I've seen for 280Zs with R200s seem to be the same length.

The R200 flange will pop out - it is retained by an internal clip. Those flanges are side specific, but I don't think they can be installed wrong and appear to work.

HTH

Yeah, I finally got some replies on the other forum and it sounds like I do in fact have the right parts, something is just wrong. I need to get back under there and figure it out (ugh...lol). I was mainly just trying to find out if I had the right parts or not. Thanks for the help.

-Adam

Since there is a bulge on that side of the diff, that is how it is supposed to be so far as I know, and that is how I have seen pix of it.

At first glance, the assemblies look very similar. However, the R-200 on the right has a wider center, offset toward the driver’s side. To accommodate the offset, Datsun engineers designed the driver’s side halfshaft 3/8†to 7/16" shorter than the passenger side. For this reason, be careful not to mix these up and don’t use R-180 shafts on an R-200.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6212/diffswap/diffswap.htm