HybridZ

How a Z at drag racing?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I know that a 240z is really light and yeah it's very easy to make a 5.0 have over 300hp but how is the car on the track. How much traction problems do you guys have. How would you fix that. Would a AOD transmission be better for an 11 second pass. I'm just making sure the car when I launch isn't going to head for the bleachers. Is there a rear end that has limited slip that could hold lots of horse power and still give me good 60ft. times and good straight passes. Is there a such thing of traction bars for a Datsun?

Thanks Kenneth K.

Guest bobs302z

my car is about 300hp with5sd It hooks up very well and very straight I dont have lsd yet . I think with more hp you would need it .If I was building a z for the 11s I would put aod . I love my t5 I built it for a cruiser , friday night drag racer and saturday drive home . Its not the fastest car at the strip but is fun and reliable .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zecaci

my car is a 73 240 w/ a 337 stroker, c-4 3spd and 3.54 limit slip.I only made 3 passes w/ the street exhaust ( single 3") and drag radials. Very straight and fairly consistent considering the track conditions ( a brand new concrete pad and new tires). I have decided not to go with an AOD, and instead go with a GV overdrive. Thats what I,m working on now. The AOD has much lower 1 st gear , 3.00, something like that , compared to a 2.46 in the C4. That would make the converter choice a bit more tricky. As for the 11 sec. deal, you can run that with the basic Z r200 diff. no problem, strong rear end.My car with open hedders was very weak at the starting line and had a 60 ' time of 2.0 aqnd I was very surprised it still ran 11.88 / 119. the first pass w/o mufflers. So i guess you could say you really don,t have to leave that hard to run in the 11 sec range. Good luck d.

• 1 month later...
Guest Phailure

How would a Z be for 1/8mi races? I am currently looking for a project car to be used in 1/8mi grudge matches. I know the old Z cars have alot of potential especially with a V8 swap but I was having some doubts about traction. Im assuming that a 2400lb car with around 300hp and RWD wont be able to get much traction especially over a shorter distance of 1/8mi. Basically it all comes down to... can RWD compete with AWD in the 1/8 mi? Any input would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Folks need to get over this "sports cars do not make good drag cars" way of thinking.

Oh come on Scottie we all know your car is a pig off the line. :D That independent rear suspension couldn't possibly hook to the tune of 1.4X in the 60'.

... you will likely be very satisfied without ladder bars or 4 bars for added traction. I don't think it is possible to install such things on an independent rear end. Of course there would be a way (I can visualize it) but not very pretty and/or practical.....LOL.

Right, because the differential rotation torque is de-coupled from the wheels, makes the Z a good drag car (yes, maybe not into the 9s), makes it much less dependant on LSD, the "ladder bars" and other solid axle, leaf spring bandaids are un-necessary. Independent rear does VERY well all on it's own.

Folks need to get over this "sports cars do not make good drag cars" way of thinking.

Your doing quite well, but you dont have a stock 30 year old rear end either. Most people have big problems launching these cars, period. There are some 12 second guys with modest horsepower, and others with 400+ HP running 14 and 15 second times.

Of course setup is going to be a big player, but a stock setup is not the one to go with when making power IMO at the strip.

I dunno Mudge, I think you are making it sound worse than it is. Yes Scottie-GNZ is a launch demon, but there are lots of cars in the 12s with modest and extreme horsepower. Most of them are using an R200 as well.

http://grannypotts.freeservers.com/Times.html

Gives you some idea of what these cars can do, with various mods. ;) But its really out of date!!! Is Andrew still around?

FYI,

I went 11.10 with the stock Nissan IRS, R200, CVs AND drag radials. With that setup I cut a couple of 1.55s and ran consistent low-mid 1.60s. There was nothing trick about what I was doing unless you consider Tokico Illuminas trick. If the R230 was available with the ratio I needed I would still be running a Nissan IRS. Yes, I use a 200-4R and a t-brake, but for any Z-car trying to go quick, the trick is cutting good 60'. You cannot cut quick 60' times if you go to the track 2 times a year or use crappy tires.

You need:

- the proper suspension setup. 400lb road racing springs won't cut it

- stop worrying about the Z-car squat and use it to your advantage

- You must have at least DRs

- practice, practice, practice

- PRACTICE.

Sorry if I sound irritated but I get so sick of hearing that a Z-car is not a good drag car, when there are several of us who are doing quite well. I also get irritated when I hear the turbo lag discussions.

Sorry, I am done.

• 1 month later...

The Datsun Z car is great for drag racing! I go to the track often and for the most part they are flat out kicking butt. Wether your thing is turbo, super charging or just plain old motor the Z is bad to the bone and is no stiff on the twisties as well.

Mike

Guest Anonymous
FYI' date='

I went 11.10 with the stock Nissan IRS, R200, CVs AND drag radials. With that setup I cut a couple of 1.55s and ran consistent low-mid 1.60s. There was nothing trick about what I was doing unless you consider Tokico Illuminas trick. If the R230 was available with the ratio I needed I would still be running a Nissan IRS. Yes, I use a 200-4R and a t-brake, but for any Z-car trying to go quick, the trick is cutting good 60'. You cannot cut quick 60' times if you go to the track 2 times a year or use crappy tires.

You need:

- the proper suspension setup. 400lb road racing springs won't cut it

- stop worrying about the Z-car squat and use it to your advantage

- You must have at least DRs

- practice, practice, practice

- PRACTICE.

Sorry if I sound irritated but I get so sick of hearing that a Z-car is not a good drag car, when there are several of us who are doing quite well. I also get irritated when I hear the turbo lag discussions.

Sorry, I am done.[/quote']

what are you running under the hood?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bobs302z

I think the independent works great for dragging my car isnt super fast and I still beat just about any street tire car I race And I leave most of them right at the line and I am only running 215/60/14. there is nothing better than beeting any car on the highway to the track then also beeting them at the track.