HybridZ

which blow-off valve do I want?

spork

I've got an 83 280zxt that I'm currently installing a T3/TO4E hybrid. I plan on runng 15-20psi of boost and I need a blow off valve that I can plumb back into my intake. I was told of a few that hks makes, but what is everyone else using? I'm hoping to keeps costs down if I can, but I don't really want to skimp either. Thanks for the help.

James

Stay very far away from the HKS SSBOV unless you like the sound of rice.

:roll::roll::roll:

The HKS Super Sequential is one of the best blow off valves out there. i would stay away from Apex and Greddy, i've heard from numerous people that they are prone to leaking. I'd go with the HKS if i were you, solid and proven product... and it sounds bad ass too. Shane, have you ever even heard a ssbov? I don't know how you could possibly decribe it as rice.

Guest ON3GO

i have a RFL whenever i get a turbo car, and my friend has one on his WRX.. it sounds crazy.

i still love the HKS SS-bov... great bov.

the greddy does leak sometimes but they do sound good too but HKS is far better.

mike

. Shane, have you ever even heard a ssbov? I don't know how you could possibly decribe it as rice.

yes i have heard it and it has a stupid high piched girlish whistle. not ricey huh? then why was it used for the sound clips in the fast and the furious.

can the HKS super seq. be plumbed back in? i thought it was designed to vent to atmosphere. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original post but I want to plumb it back in...so the ones that are loud don't do me any good. Am I wrong about being able to plumb these blow-off valves back into the intake?

Guest JAMIE T

Pretty much all of the BOV's/BV's will be quiter when they are recirculated. We pulled the bypass tube off of a car to see how it would sound. It was a regular HKS bypass valve. It didn't sound too loud. That was at 18psi. The HKS SS is not that loud when used as a bypass valve. We've done one on a DSM with 22psi. It wasn't too shabby.

I have a SSQV HKS bov on my ZXT, it's the loud high pitch sound. I don't really like it, so I changed the fin insert to a purple one, and it made the pitch lower and deeper... more pshhh than peeef. The HKS can be plumbed back, you have to buy a kit from HKS to get it plumbed back, but it's expensive for a basic kit, ~58 bucks the last time I checked. Anyway, if you want to vent your blowoff to the atomsphere without the hesitating/super rich a/f for a few seconds thing, see if you can get ahold of an HKS EIDS unit, they sell for about 100 bucks in Japan and allow you to vent your blowoff without the backlash of problems.

John

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi,

Basically I have my 1981 280ZXTurbo as stock (63,000 miles).

My question is ... what is a HKS SS Blow of Valve ???

What does it do and what is it for?

I guess I don't want to sound too much ignorant ... :)

Also, where can I get the HKS SSBOV for a good price?

Thanks,

nathan