HybridZ

Urethane airdam flex from high speed wind pressure

auxilary

here's my $14.06 take on that little problem. The urethane airdam tends to lose rigidity after a while, since there's no support in the middle, it starts to sag and becomes flappy like a sheet of rubber after a while.

Not wanting that to happen, I ventured out to a hardware store, and picked up the following:

-6 x 5/16 nuts at $.05 each

-4 x 1/4 flat washers $.03 each

-2 x 5/16 lock washers $.05 each

-1 x 3 foot 5/16 threaded rod $2.39

-1 aluminum bracket plate (don't remember thickness off top of my head, maybe 3/16s or 1/5) - $9.75. it was a large sheet because i figure i'll have uses for leftovers.

-4 x m8x30mm bolts - $.20 each

-2 x 5/16 tee nuts - $.30 each

tools needed:

-quick setting epoxy

-hacksaw

-angle grinder

-drill

-5/16 wrenches and sockets

-die grinder (optional)

So I made plate brackets out of the alumnium plate, 2.5" across, 4" long each. I used the horn mounts for the bolt location since they're already tapped and ready for used in the radiator support. Each rod I used is about 11" long. I took the tee nuts and cut them to half the size with an angle grinder, because otherwise they'd be too long to fit in the hole I drilled in the airdam. The holes aren't drilled all the way through, but enough to set an indentation for the tee nut to use. The tee nuts are held in place with epoxy. The rest is pretty self explanatory, and the airdam is now rock solid. Doesn't budge, doesn't move, and yet if it encounters a curb, it will have some leeway and not crack like a fiberglass airdam.

fc6ad047.jpg

Tee nuts, regular sized on the right, aux-modified on the left (5 seconds with an angle grinder is fun. I swear, it's the best tool next to an impact gun)

fc6ad041.jpg

Plate brackets I made (they do not flex at all, not enough leverage to cause any bends). They're bolted where the stock horns mount. The horns are not back on yet, as this was a trial fit.

fc6acfef.jpg

fc6ad027.jpg

Tee nut mounted on the back of the airdam. None of this is visible on the front

fc6ad0a8.jpg

assembled threaded rod/bracket/nuts/washers

fc6ad0a2.jpg

fc6ad09c.jpg

Finished product. The horns are mounts in front of the bracket, so the bracket is mounted directly to the rad. core support.

High res. images available here:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4290435153

Golly, I thought it would be a duct tape and chewing gum type of solution, but from the last photo, I'd say it looks very 'finished' and even would not destroy anything the next time you hit a parking block. Good job :2thumbs:

Davy

Guest greimann

Hey, great minds think alike! :idea: This is my take on urethane air dam support. In this picture it demonstrates how it protects against impacting a 70# dog :lol: . One suggestion is that the threaded rods should be thin, like .25", so they will bend when you do strike a parking block instead of holding fast and jousting two holes in your bodywork.

airdamsupport2.jpg

Yup! Great minds think alike! (or "dumb one never differ"!)

I used one threaded rod, drilled a hole in the bottom of the radiator support, and pop-rivetted a piece of 1inch angle aluminum to the bottom of the air dam. Has worked great so far.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

You could get really fancy and use rear hatch struts, from Pep Boys. These would squish in when you hit another dog, and pop out by the time ol' yeller hits the curb.