HybridZ

Cooling issues....

What do you guys make of this. I am running the Tarus fan with the Camaro Rad.The Radiator is new. The Fan is wired on high and I am also using a relay . On the highway the car runs hotter than when in traffic?

I used to have the car wired to a thermo switch and it seemed to run cooler then when the fan going all the time?? Whats the deal?

I've been having a similar problem. Temps seem to spike at consistent highway speed, then drop quickly once I've slowed. I've been thinking it's my f/i system being out of tune - maybe not. Q: would the hose collapse be visible if I just revved the engine, or does it take a minute? Any idea?

Fan is going the right direction and the lower hose has a spring in it. Whats also odd is the tank on the drivers side is much hotter than the passenger side. The same thing goes for the hoses. The top hose is much hotter than the bottom hose???

That is an easy explanation, although this will not help with your cooling problems. Water pump pushes the water to the top hose and lets gravity do some of the work to "drain" the coolant mixture to the bottom and back into your block. Otherwise the pump would be a sucker, and they are set as a pusher.

So now you know your radiator works, since it is coming out cooler, which it is supposed to do :)

As for running hotter on the freeway the only thing that comes to mind is maybe you have something blocking the rad, or that there is a large air gap letting air avoid the rad, which would only be because of some modification you may have made perhaps? Otherwise I am lost...

I am lost as well?? I just let the car run for a while at idle . It to about 15 or so mins to get up to 190. The thing is that the lower hose is barely warm and the top hose is HOT! Shouldnt the lower hose be just as hot??

Its like its not getting any circulation or something? Also the water pump is

new as well??

What temp thermostat do you have in it?

[edit] nevermind, too slow posting[/edit]

Just a thought.....how big (small) are your pulleys. Maybe the water pump is turning too quicly causing cavatation?

Tim

My main questions is shouldnt the lower hose be just as hot as the upper hose?

It will be after the car is completely up to temp. As the car warms up and the thermostat opens, it gets a rush of cool fluid, closing the thermostat again.

Tim

And no, I'm not 'playing'. I posted during the time you guys were posting.

Tim

The lower hose is sucking in fluid from the rad to the block, it should be cooler. The upper hose is fluid from the block to the rad, it should be hot. Your radiator is acting like a blocked older rad. When calcium builds up inside an old rad, at highway speed it gets hotter.

I don't know.....you have the exact setup I have, Camero rad, Taurus fan, on high, 180 stat, I even have an AC condencer up front. I have no problems with cooling. You said you have your Taurus fan on all the time, right? I don't think that should make a difference, but maybe it's deflecting the flow of air at high speed?

I was thinking the same thing . Maybe that with the fan on it is acting like a wall and not letting the air though the radiator. I will wire it back to the thermo switch and see what it does I guess...

Your radiator is acting like a blocked older rad. When calcium builds up inside an old rad' date=' at highway speed it gets hotter.

[/quote']

Thats a thought, if its the original radiator + the fact that its an old steelie unit not aluminum, it could be very sensative to buildup/crud. I like to use distilled water to try to avoid buildup.

Well I went out an re hooked it back to the thermo switch. I figured that if I ran the fan all the time I might be able to keep the car at 180 or so all the time. But I am thinking that the fan on all the time at freeway speeds is killing flow. Its raining out now so will give it a try on the highway tomarrow. I did notice now that the lower hose gets warm were as with the fan hooked up all the time it did not?? Also I am using distilled water and coolant. About a 75/25 ratio water to coolant.