HybridZ

Do i really need an oil cooler?

Guest Betzeralli

Guest Betzeralli

I am swapping an 81 turbo to a 78 and have come to notice an oil cooler hook up. do i really need it? i live in canada so it doesn't get blistering hot. lets here some experence's please. thanks

The need for additional oil cooling is because of the heat disipated(sp?)in the turbocharger. Not ambient air tempurature. I`m sure someone else with more hands on experience will chime in.

By the way... i have an oil cooler with hoses from an 83zxt that I`m not using. If you decide that you need one, I`ll sell it for 45.00+ shipping

run a b and m trans cooler for oil cooler, works fine, is a little small for application i think it gets really warm, but better than nothing and doesnt leak. oil pressure is up at least 10psi and oil is lasting me 2500 without any burn, i use 10-40 syntec blend works good.

Well, if you are going to use that block, you'll have to use the oil cooler fitting on the side of it unless you are planning to tear the engine down. The oil pressure relief valve in the turbo automatic is located on the oil cooler adaptor and not on the block as in all the other Z's. I don't know how difficult it would be to remove the plug from the pressure relief location in the block. I assume it would have to be drilled out. I am using a turbo automatic block and have decided to just temporarily run a small loop from the outlet to the inlet of the oil cooler adaptor until I decide to add an oil cooler in my n/a car. On the turbo car, I had the outlets tapped for 1/2 NPT fittings and run to a large B&M oil cooler.

Datsunboy, they come off right above the oil filter, if the cooler attachment is still there. If not, then the person removed that and put on a threaded holder for a regular filter. I've had mine off so I've seen that it requires one, as the one holding the cooler is not threaded properly for a stock filter location. They are metal for about 4" or so, and then they are very, very stiff rubber hose from there.

I just went to Parker today and got new fittings for my oil cooler lines. Tossed the old ones, banjo fittings and all. $20 for the new fittings at the oil filter side and a hose to temporarily bypass until I get the new oil cooler. Well, I haven't tossed the banjo fittings until I see that everything works, but it will.

I almost considered using my frame rail cooler that was originally going to be for power steering (Camaro), but figured routing would be even worse, just because dealing with the hoses and such, so maybe someday an improved cooler but the stock one looks like a pretty good size, I bet it holds 1/2qt of oil by itself.