HybridZ

UTI and NTI what do you guys think of them?

Guest BigWhyteDude

Guest BigWhyteDude

Hey guys how do? I had the great fortune to have a representative frim UTI to come to my school and do a presentation for us. All i have to say is that im sold!! I really want to go to the campus in Texas. I was just wondering if anyone here has ever been to one of the campuses, and if you have what did you think of the programs? I realy want to attend UTI but my dad says it would be a waist of time. I love working on cars and i love working around them. I really think this is what i want to do for the rest of my life. By the way im 18 and will graduate in 29 school days. WOOHOOOOO!!!!! YEAH!!!! :rockon: i live in southern Ga so i would have to live out there in Texas if i go but that is cool with me. I dont know how my dad will react to it but thats what i want to do. My friend is going to talk ot the rep next thursday and i might tag along with him with my parents. Thanks for the input guys.

Guest sb400z

A couple of my step-brother's friends went to the UTI here in phoenix a couple of years ago. One of them is now a master mechanic making over 75,000 a year :cheers: , and another is still working at a valvoline. It all depends on how much you want it and how hard you try. And since it doesn't really take that long, at least you'll be a lot better at working on your car, and your friends cars, and your wife's SUV, and... Well, you get the point. Good luck at whatever you do though. I'm 2 years out of high school myself and am still trying to figure out what to do with my life, but at least I have a sweet Z...

Guest BigWhyteDude

unfortunately i dont have a swet z yet. :( but i am in the prosses of finding one. If i do go i wil HAVE to get a new car. right now i am driving an 89 dodge pickem up truck that has seen better days. IT got it first mail box yesterday as a mater of fact. "dont ask" what did your friends think of the classes there? i want to know all i can find out aboutthe schools before next thursday. Anyway, its like 2 in the morning i think so im off to bed.

L8er guys. Damn this laptops key bord :twak:

I looked at UTI when I graduated High school. They have a good program and are pretty well thought of in the industry (this is very important). You might visist some fo the dealerships in your area and ask what they think of the school. It is them that will be hiring mechanics out of the colleges and this should give you an idea of employability. I personnally would have gone to UTI except that I decided I wanted a four year Automotive service management program. I went to Ferris State University in Michigan (another good school). Unfortunately I found out I have arthritis in my upperback and have a hard time working under a lift. My Autoservice degree still got me in the door at a small engineering firm and I ended up being a design engineer for natural gas compressors. I left that company to go to a large construction company owed by the same owner. I am now the IT administrator (odd for a mechanic huh). You never know where things will lead, life is funny. I do make more money now than I could as a mechanic or any of the other degrees I was considering so the schooling was definately worth it. Besides that I make lots of money on the side working on other peoples cars.

Sorry for rambling, and good luck I think you would be happy with UTI it looks very impressive. You never know where it will lead.

Guest spunkysandoval

What's up there bigwhytedude? It seems that we are sorta of in the same boat. I too, and about to graduate from H.S. and am considering a technical school. Although, I am looking at Wyotech not UTI. It's a shorter program than UTI, and it has a fairly good program design. I want to take the year long program, the longer of the choices, because I want to leave the possiblity of seeking a management position.

My parent is supportive of whatever choice I make, but would really like it if I attended a 4 year university. I would do that, but I don't like school and 4 more long years of school doesn't seem that appealing to me whatsoever. If i get accpeted to the university i want to go to, i will go there. If i don't than i will go to wyo tech and begin my path to a career.

I got a little of the subject there, sorry. About UTI, I've also seen their presentation and thought it was good. However, I liked what Wyotech had to offer a bit more. Their program seems a little harder because it is 8 hours a day, but seems like you would learn better because of it. Have you checked this school out?

-Isaac

Guest BigWhyteDude

no i havent really checked out Whyteck but i did see one of the videos the send out to ppl. It looked like a nice school. how many campusses does whyotech have nation wind and where is the closest one to GA?? i might consider them too. My mom is suportive of what i want to do but my dad and i do not get along at all and he does not want me to go. Bt its my life damn it. I want to do this and thats what i want i dont want ot goto 4 more years of school just to find out that when i graduate i may not find a job in the carrer i got the freakin degree for. :evil:

i know there are jobs in auto repair. Thats about the only thing that i have ever been interested in. ive looked at the local colleges the degree programs they have are not ever in the least bit interestig to me. any way excuse my rambeling im just really pissed off at my dad right now. I think im going to call the rep and scedual a sit down with my parents. i hope that will change my dads mind. He told me to get a job at the local ford dealership and wait for them to send me off to train. but i would be there for 5-8 years befor they even consider me for that. My dad wants me to get a 4 year degree in anything just to have a peice of paper that says i went to school for another 4 years and had a 70. F that. thats a waist of my time and time is money. :x

sorry about the rambling im going to sleep now.

l8er

Yeah I knew a guy that went to Wyomtech and he is now working in a little independent shop making like $10 per hour. It really is what you make of it. This guy was just a complete loser in H.S. and now all he does is work to pay for weed! :bonk:

When I graduateed H.S. almost 3 years ago, I originally wanted to go into computer programming. Well I started the semester and I just could stand to go to class because I was nothing like those computer guys. No offense to any of the computer programmers on this board but my god they(the ones I went to school with) though they knew everything! Maybe I just got stuck with a bunch of know it all's but I just couldn't stand it. My point being is that you should first pick something that you know you love to do because your going to be doing it for 40+ hours a week for 20+ years! :shock:

Now I am going to Fox Valley Technical College for a Associated Degree in Automotive Technology. I personally think the school is great! All of my teachers are really cool(not the general education ones) and I actually love going to school. I will be graduateing in May, 2nd in the class(#1 in the class can remember EVERYTHING :shock:, its really quite unreal! LOL)and I am hopefully going to be getting a job at our local Corvette "dealer"(they only work on Corvettes, new and old)! I know personally that it doesnt really matter which school you go to, just make sure that while your there that you make the most of yourself. Then its up to you to get the dream job you've always wanted!

Just my $.02 :D

Guy

Guest BigWhyteDude

hey denny can you ytell me what you thought of thew program there and how many hours a day it was. Do they offer a free updates o your training?

Yes they offer free updates. each class is 5 hrs a day. I left there 14yrs ago, but I have a friend that graduated last year.He was very happy with the school. i also have another friend that was an instructor in the performance engine machining classes. he left to start his own high performance engine shop. now he works 15hrs a day 6 days a week.

Computer programming is for nerds who want to be code monkeys, I would rather not sit at a desk for "the man" 18+ hours a day pounding out code. That is for true geeks who want to optimize all day, and bug fix, etc, if your not one of those people you dont belong in programming.

I know a guy who does porting and engine building for Trans Am race cars and other big SB2/2.2 stuff, and makes only $15 an hour. So, make sure you find yourself in the right place as well, if your working for someone else you may not make a thing.

Don't know much about technical schools, but I will say that as long as you put an honest effort into it then going to school is never a waste of time. Even if you eventually end up working in a field unrelated to your degree (or finish just short of a degree), an education is something that will benefit you in countless ways throughout the rest of your life. Sounds like you have already avoided the biggest mistake that most guys make. The fact you are considering options means you probably haven't gotten anyone pregnate yet :oops::lol:

Would like to second what some of the other guys have said. Chances are you don't have to go out of state to find a good school. UTI is probably everything they say it is, but ask around there might be other, possibly cheaper alternatives that are as good. Talk to the service department managers at some local car dealerships and see what they look for. They might be more familiar with a local school. High school shop teachers should be helpful also.

Having said all that a 4 year degree is not for everybody. Gotta find something you like and hopefully it will be in something you can make a living at. IMO that is one of the biggest benefits of college. It gives you a chance to experience life and figure out what it is you really want. You may have found your calling, but trust me, very few 18 year olds know what it is they want to do. And the good thing is you don't have to make a permanent decision for many years yet.

BTW, don't be too hard on computer people. All kinds of normal people make a living with computers. Even HS nerds have a way of becoming more normal as they get older. If you have the aptitude for it and want a job with good job security and earnings potential, then electrical engineering is hard to beat. The company I work for is offering new grads up to $70,000 a year and still having trouble finding enough people to hire.

Guest BigWhyteDude

hey jim your right about the first part But you were almost right :wink: i have talked to my shop teacher and he said that N.A.D.C. is also a good school. Nashville auto deisel college is also a candidate. It is about roughly the same distance away from me as the closest UTI campus so

and i know a guy that is there right now he says it is a good school too. well i will figure it all out eventualy. But your right about the computer programers. THats just not me. I cant stand being at the same desk all day every day. Thats why i hate high school. i havae to be doing something diferent i donno.

while im at it is there any one here that lives close to Statesboro GA that has a hybrid z runnng??? i want to see one up close. :twisted: