HybridZ

Wiring Diagram

We'll the time has come. I am not much of a writer as you can tell by the number of my post. I am a reader and have been reading and reading on this site since I registered in 2001. I am installing a 383 700r4 set up in my 78 280z the motor is together and the tranny. Some of the goodies are 350 4 bolt main 30 over, keith black pistons, steel crank with trick flow heads, weiand intake, Holley 750 carb, alum water pump, holley electric fuel pump, black magic electric fan w/thermostat, a/c relay, s&s Long tube headers, serpentine pulleys and some other goodies. The jtr book is not clear on this model as far as the wiring goes. I have separated most of the wires that go to the engine and have put most of the remaining wires in a loom. I am looking for someone or some place that I can get a wiring diagram for my 280. Any help on this would be well appreciated.

Ahhh yes Chas the dreaded wiring question for the 280Z pops up again with hardly no one answering your questions. I have asked this question on here before with very limited responses. And my friend you are exactly right, the JTR book shuns the 280Z when it comes to pictures and descriptions of the wiring process.

The 280 and the 240 have different wiring harnesses but all the pics in the JTR manual are of the 240! This is why I may go to a painless wiring harness when it is all said and done. However, on a bright note, the wiring can be done in the 280 because I have seen it with my own eyes once!

There is a guy in Douglasville named Daryle, "Georgia Z" I think that is his name on this site, that has a 75 280z with a running V-8 and he used the Datsun wiring harness. But I haven't heard anything from him since we went down to visit a month or so ago.

Good luck my friend.

Chas why are you and me up so damn late! My god brotha it is 3:31am. lol

I woke up with a severe case of heartburn and couldn't go back to sleep that is my story.

Yep I'm with ya on the wiring diagram. If and when I get mine hooked up some day I vow never to leave another 280 owner hanging in the wind with this question.

I have to climb back in the sack so I can get an early start on my Z in the morning.

We'll I was at my son's baseball practice and they decided to let the dad's hit. They use a pitching machine and cranked up the MPH. Hitting was no prob but and there is always a but. I rounded first with tennis shoes on and wiped out hurting my shoulder.

• 2 weeks later...

Georgia Flash, I'm still around, just not getting on the site much lately. I've had a lot going on, but I am dilligently working on the Z. The exhaust gets done next week and it goes for paint on the May 17. I am no wiring expert, but you are right, mine worked out fine. I will try to check back more often so if I can help email me or post a question.

Chasv8z....I am just about done with my wiring on my 77 with a 350 and a t56. The only thing left to wire is the backup light and the speedometer. I can tell you I've spent hours reading and re-reading JTR and then I have a Datsun shop manual that has the complete wiring diagram where I also spent hours, blowing up certain sections on a copy machine, and then tracing wires. This weekend I powered it up for the first time (put the battery in), and did not blow a fuse or anything, and everything seemed to work. At the same time I added the fuse block that replaces the fuseable links, and I am running a Black Magic fan and wired the car ready to reinstall the A/C. I plan on firing the engine for the first time in a week or two. I still need to connect the exhaust, prime the oil pump and that's about it.

My advise is to invest in a Datsun shop manual. I don't think (I know) I could have done it without. If you have any questions, I'll try and answer as best I can.

Good luck - Greg

Chas, I did it in the late eightys on a 77, 280Z using the JTR manual and a Haynes manual. I had no problems getting everything to work. I can't remember all the specifics, these kind of things get fuzzy when you get into your fifties. :? I'll see if I can dig up some notes, if I still have them. If I remember right, I wrote down wire color corrections in my JTR manual for the 280Z. I'll check tonight.

Rick I too would be interested in that info. :D I guess I am just looking for the easy way out lol. All I need to know is where to connect the 5 or 6 wires that came off the 350. I got a pretty good idea when I visited GA Z a couple of months ago but I would still like to have something wrote down. As far as having a wiring diagram, I have the Haynes manual and a Mitchell Service Manual wiring diagram. It may as well be written in Chinese because I still couldn't figure out where and how to trace all those darn wires down.

Well, here is what I have. I can't load the diagram I have because the file is too large, so I will try to describe it accurately.

Wire 1: The Black/Blue wire that went to the Z coil will now splice into wire 2.

Wire 2: The Green/Blue wire from the fuel pump now connects to the Chrysler Fuel Pump Switch. A wire on the other side of chrysler switch splices into wire 5.

Wire 3: The Yellow/Black wire for oil pressure switch ( I adapted Z oil pres. switch to Chevy engine, wiring stayed the same).

Wire 4: The Blue wire that went to the Ignition Relay in the passenger footwell (Ign. relay discarded) now has a 15K ohm resistor in line to the neg. side on the HEI Dist.

Wire 5: The Black/White wire that went to the Ignition Relay in the passenger footwell now goes to the plus side on the HEI Dist., it also has a wire from the plus side of the Chrysler Fuel Pump Switch spliced in (see wire 2)

Wire 6: The Yellow/White wire that went to the Z Temp. Sending Unit from the temp. gauge. still to temp. sending unit. (I adapted the Z temp. sending unit to the Chevy Engine).

Wire 7: The White/Red 12ga. wire from the Z alternator has a 14ga. fusable link spliced in, now goes to Chevy alt. large terminal.

Wire 8: The Blue wire that went to the Z voltage regulator now goes to the plug in on chevy alt.

Wire 9: The White wire that went to the Z starter now goes to the large terminal on the chevy starter solenoid.

Wire 10: The Black/Yellow wire from the Z starter now goes to the "S" terminal on the chevy starter solenoid.

I hope this helps. :D If you have any more questions, let me know, I'll try to jog my feeble memory. :bonk:

I missed a couple of points in above post.

add to Wire 7: ... Add a voltage sensing wire from the large terminal on the alt. to the right connector on the plug in connector on the alt. as looking at it from the back.

add to Wire 8: ... to the left terminal as looking at the back of the alt.

Sorry all. :oops:

Thanks guy's for the info the motor is now sitting in the car I have a digital camera with pictures but don't know how to put one on the hybridz site. I put the motor and trans in the car as one but will have to take the trans back out to pound a little on the pass side to allow for the servo on the 700r4 also to take the s&s headers back off so I can send them to be coated at jet hot. I too have the black magic fan and am going to run adjustable serpentine belts if I can find any out in the junk yards and info would be greatly appreciated and if you have anything you can email me about please do. chasbarker@juno.com

• 4 months later...

The wiring diagram in the Haynes book is nice IF you got a giant projector to enlarge it big enough to see. Otherwise, I got a nice one from a Mitchel's book a local library had. But that was many years ago, and I don't know if libraries still have the Mitchel's books with the wiring diagrams- they seem to be switching over to so0mething else...