HybridZ

My swap update

Well, i got her running a little smoother. Until i get my ner temperature switch on Friday i tried splicing the two wire sensor i have and the car runs. I revved it up a few times and after riching it up threw the AFM it revvs good. Took it out for a test drive and it sputters in high rpms where it wont build boost and starts backfiring through the intake. I imediatly pulled in home, got out and tried revving it lightly.It backfires through the intake lightly as the rpms were falling. Turned it off and it wouldnt start back up, not even a click. Two hour when i got back home it cranked over.

Diagnosis: Don't do things the ghetto way.

Hopefully on friday i will have better news. I miss heaing the boost. Especially on a 70 degree day in upstate NY. Can't gloat too long, as snow may be rearing it ugly head in at the end of the week.

It wouldnt even click. I could hear my fuel pump on and when i ried to start it you could hear the fuel pump go off and nothing would hapen. It was wierd almost as if the battery had no juice. I am trying not to really worry about it yet. Once i get it all hooked up, then i will see if it does it again.

Well, i hope everyone else's swap is going better. Mine just took a turn for the worst. Today i installed my new temperature sender, kinda. Almost all the way in and it started tightnening up. I would just back it out and try going in again. I should have taken this as a sign to give up for today. Instead i broke the sensor in the housing. Great. So i glued it bak together. :roll:

Now i started it up and it ran a litte ruf, could rev it up. So i let it warm up and decided to take it for a quick run. Went to go take off and at about 2500 it began to sputter. I gave it some gas and it revved right up and the turbo was at full boost, i wasnt moving though. When i had the old setup on this motor it would rocket. I came home and turned it off. Changed burnt cap and rotor. Switched wires on a senso thinking they may be backwards. Adjust the AFM a little leaner as it was adjusted rich before. Went to start it up and it idled very bad and finally just died, but i could hear a loud clicking in the car, possibly fom the fuel pump relay. Turned the ignition off. Clicking stopped. Swithced wires back around.

Next, i tried to start it up again. Nothing. Not even the fuel pump turning on. Guess i will try my spare fuel pump relay. But not anything. I will check fusable links again but they looked alright. Maybe it is time i pulled out every thing and just go stand alone system route. Maybe i should try megasquirt because funds arent looking to good right now.

Anyone with some good news?

I still wonder about that coil, but it would not explain the not-starting stuff. Is the alt charging the battery? If not, then it could explain the problem after running for awhile, both low voltage output and resistance in the battery wires perhaps if they are getting hot.

I got my injectors friday but haven't started on the car yet today.

I would say maybe alternator except it is not like having a dead battery. It is like not even having a batery hooked up and then after 10 mins it starts up fine. I t did start up again after i got bored after posting the last message. But when it is running, it runs the same wheather or not that sensor i broke in the t-stat hosing is plugged in. I am gussing i have to buy this sensor again and find a way to get the old one out.

good idea. i tried adjusting the ps but saw no difference. Maybe mine is bad. Maybe i have a bad ecu or AFM also.I know the motor works because it ran good before i decided to wire it correctly. I am going to tinker some more and see what happens after i get out of work today.

Quick update. I went out to check my timing today, and my guin was broken. So, i turned it by ear.When i am about all the way advanced, it idles so much better and revs much better. Have to go get a new gun later. Tried adjusting the AFM, it is probably running a bit rich. Other than that, it sounds better idling and just revving it in nuetral. Put it in gear and it seems to move decent. Give it gas and it the turbo is at full boost and loud but no faster acceleration. Might get a a quick jolt, but then just stops moving. Also, takes a while for the rpms to come back down. I am pretty sure it is some sort of electrical problem, because when this motor was running of of the 77 setup, it ran much better but pig rich. I guess i will throw in my 6th set of spark plugs in the last 2 months. Hopefully, now that i have the correct sensor, it may work better. Will see over the weekend.

Also, does anyone know what our fuel pump is rated at? I can pick up a holley being a distributor for a good price, rated at 135 LPH at 45 psi. Is that just slightly more than stock. It seems to be a decent inline pump, running me around $125 or so. I usually would get about $160 for it.

Also, does anyone know what our fuel pump is rated at? I can pick up a holley being a distributor for a good price, rated at 135 LPH at 45 psi. Is that just slightly more than stock. It seems to be a decent inline pump, running me around $125 or so. I usually would get about $160 for it.

Stock pump will put out 95 liters/hour at 50psi