HybridZ

Block huggers again

I made a post late last nite before going to sleep, after 12AM pacific time, i hope that didnt kill all the messages...

Any way, I did a mock up with my Dynomax block huggers and there was no room at all for spark plug boots because the pipes were bent in so far. This was only on the two outer ports. I returned them at once.

My heads are the Edelbrock 6073 aluminums, straight plugs.

So what is everyone else using? Anything else besides block huggers that will work also?

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Guest Anonymous

Can the good folks at Edelbrock point you to some vendors that make headers for their heads? Seems odd that they'd go through the trouble to make killer heads that you can't fully utilize because you can't get any decent headers that'll work with them.

------------------

"There's a reason why your windshield is bigger than your rearview mirror..."

Guest Anonymous

I running the same heads on motor. I am currently running Hooker Headers 1 5/8" from Summit. I have them wrapped to keep the underhood temperature down. They fit fine, but I am using Accel Header Spart plug, they are about 1/4" shorter on the outer half of the plug. This keeps the spark plug boot from touching the header pipe.

Al

Al, good idea with that header wrap. I used it on mine and it cut the under hood temp

WAY down. Without it the wire loom melted

and i think the brakes would have problmes

as well with the lines so close to the

heat source. Owen it is expensive but well worth it. Some people say that it will

damage your headers though,(premature breakage and cracks because the wrap

keeps all the heat in). You may want to

call your mfg. on your headers.

Guest Anonymous

I am running the same heads with the Summit Cheapy block huggers....Work fine for me.

I too have them wrapped and wished I had gone ceramic as the wrap keeps so much heat in the headers glow!!

Chuck

------------------

Charles Sterling

I use the Accell Plug wire protectors which slide over the plug wire and protect them from casual contact with the header. I'm also using the Flowtech Ceramic Coated block huggers and I can speak to the header wrap issue, it comes loose, and also traps a lot of unwanted heat on the headers. Go ceramic and you will be happy! On a similar note, my buddy with the 55 CHevy just had some cool Sanderson Cast aluminum manifold style headers delivered this week for his 55 and they are awesome. 1/2inch flanges and 1 7/8 diameter flow tubes on those puppies.... Mucho nice. $530 shipped. If I had it to do over again! Bolted right up and gave him the clearance he needed for his power steering box! Also does away with two of the bolts!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

• 4 months later...

Anyone found a block hugger bigger than 1 5/8ths in a hugger style? Other than cast that is :-)

Some of the truck headers for the newer style trucks look like they might fit too but I'm not big on experimenting and owuld like to find something proven to work. I've asked the builder not to use AP heads in order to avoid fitting problems - hope he remembers.

Thanks, I'll check them both out. I think I may have seen Sanderson in Street Rod - cast headers right? Hrm, will check them out and see. Appreciate the leads!

Still wondering about those truck headers :-) They look liek 5.0 headers for SBCs and I already know 5.0 headers fit for the 302 swap... Not much in the mood to experiment though - just follow the recipe and drive the sucker!

Guest Anonymous

HELLO I Cermakrome block huggers for a mear 150.00 inside and out.Black satin ceramic based coating for 120.00. much better than header wrap. How Can I pay for a new harley if you guys dont send me some business? Tony

MENTION THIS SITE FOR A 10% DISCOUNT

------------------

74 260, sbc 350, 700r4, and a few little HP Mods.just gettin started good. www.speedtechcoatings.com

[This message has been edited by takman57 (edited July 11, 2000).]