HybridZ

That rear end is a lot wider then the z's. Its also based on a semi trailing arm like the 280zx's. This one now has a extra link which is said to make a world of difference. Its still not the best as far as geometry changes go.

Cheers

Douglas

I thought to myself, "Hey, maybe here is an American car I could actually buy!" LS1 power, 6 speed, a backseat you can get in, and best of all for a Pontiac, NO CLADDING! Afterall, the Z28 started around $19k for windup windows and cloth seats. Then they released expected MSRP...$35k. Thirty five thousand? Whatever. I'll pick out a nice2 year old 528i sport with leather and a 5 speed. Won't be as fast, but I'm willing to bet it'll be a better car.

Guest Thurem
I'll pick out a nice2 year old 528i sport with leather and a 5 speed. Won't be as fast, but I'm willing to bet it'll be a better car.

HHHMMMM, BMW's are the next logical choice when looking for a car to put a big motor in. Lets call up JTR and tell them to make a BMW conversion manual...

Thure

I have decided that I want to build a full tilt drag car someday, and have been looking for a 92-96 E36 (318is or 325is) but you just can't find one cheap. I'll back half it and do a solid axle. The 3 series is an awesome buy for holding its value. We bought a lease-return '95 325is for my wife in '98 and it has been a great car. Another reason I'll buy a BMW for my daily driver. The 5 series and 7 series are different story from a dollar standpoint, however, depreciation monsters. Good buy used! You can get a 2000 5 series for less than $20k!

There was a letter to a columnist in the paper yesterday about a 2001 Mazda Millenium the writer had purchased. He was doggin' Mazda because the trade in they offered him for his 2 year old $27k car was only $12k bucks. Ouch. It was his argument that Mazda should never have charged so much for a car that was going to be worth so little in just 2 years. The columnist suggested he do better research on resale next time. :D

Guest Anonymous

In case no one has said it yet, this is NOT an american car. It is an Aussie. It's actually a Holden Manaro with the LS1. American Legend- Built in the land of Kangaroo......... :(

Who cares? They are all GM employees. Just because cars are assembled in US doesn't mean they are American Made anymore IMO. The Camaro and Firebird have been made in Canada since the 80's. At least it ain't a Wrong Wheel Drive car and they have NIXED the plastic cladding! I just can't believe the price...

Guest Anonymous

BMW Z3. Now there's a car crying out for an LS1. I was thinking of a 3 series cabrio for myself. The best BMW I had was a 323 Alpina (Light Body) while I was stationed in GE. Of course I didn't bring it back with me. Grey market is, well, ...

Got a mate with a 92 model 318i, he puts on the track, the thing is so light and handles great. Such a shame it still has the standard 4. I told him go a v8 conversion but he dosnt have the mechanical skills to take on such a large progect..never mind.

“We understand why the website chose Mustang, because it’s the only classic pony car still standing today,†says Ford’s Special Vehicle Team chief John Coletti. “This new GTO is like a Cavalier on a Camaro chassis.â€

That says it all!!!

Tim

For some reason I fell I need to defend this poor litle example of GM badge engineering. :roll:

You all know this is bases on the Holden Manaro (sp?) from aussie. The Manaro is based on the Commadore. This has been the best selling aussie car for years. As with most best selling cars its pretty bland at the best of times but still better then the compitition. Have a look at your own best sellers. Honda accord, Toyata camry. Wouldnt catch me dead in those.

Now the manaro is not a bad set of wheels. It corners well and has a ls1 in it. I think its about the same weight as a firebird/camaro twins so its a bit of fun to drive. Gm has done a face lift on the commadore which hasnt made it to the manoro yet which updates the styling a bit.

Its unfortunate that GM decided to market the as the GTO in the states. It will never really fit that market, but it was cheep to do. They only replaced the badges and the front grill, Oh , and probably put crappy spring and dampers in it as well, so it probabbly wont go around corners, Just like the original one. Mabye its closer to the original then you think. :wink:

Cheers

Douglas

Douglas,

Agreed.

The commodore, and better yet the senator, was a fairly good car. Reliable as clockwork and a good bit of punch for what it is. And the Monaro is also a nice car, but it is definitely not deserving of the GTO badging. GM is missing the boat on this one. Look how popular (in the States anyways) the mini cooper, vw bug, PT cruiser, and I'm sure the new mustang are.

Oh well, it will probably sell fairly well anyway.

Tim