HybridZ

Brake upgrade

Hi all, I have justed inserted a 327 into my z and want a good reliable brake upgrade for the fronts.

I want to retain the 4 stud pattern for my rims which are 17inchs.

Im an Aussie, so anyone in melbourne would be helpful, thanks G

Opinion here supports a WIDE spectrum of upgrades that start with the simple improvement of high quality pads using OEM rotors and calipers, to somewhat "bolt on" 300ZX vented rotors and 280ZX calipers, to rear disc conversions, to some very nice aftermarket parts (rotors and calipers). It just depends on what your goals are and how much money you want to spend. Toyota brake upgrades (swaps) are seen here too. If you could determine what you specifically will be using the car for, and money willing to be spent (or not spent), this could help us provide you with more detail. There is just so much that can be done to help in this area.

Ok, The car is weekend fun car and will be put on the track up to 5 times a year just for some sprints and time trials(fun). My budget is around $1500 AUS for fronts and rears or just do the fronts for up to a grand.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zline

Because you're going budget style, i'd go 15/16 Master Cylinder, Silvia/240SX rear disc upgrade and 4Runner 4 Piston front upgrade with 300Z 11.4" rotors

Good luck with whatever you choose.

j260z -- those are some great links, especially the first one!

Has anyone tried the MSA upgrade kit with four piston front calipers and 50% more pad area :?: I am thinking of getting that and there cross drilled rotors.

four piston front calipers: http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TZS&Category_Code=PBC07

cross drilled rotors: http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TZS&Category_Code=PBC06

IF anyone has tried this let me know how you like...thanks bob

Has anyone tried the MSA upgrade kit with four piston front calipers and 50% more pad area :?:

Have you checked the price on those? The kit looks like nothing more than the Toyota 4x4 calipers (a bolt on upgrade). I actually emailed MSA one time asking what the difference between their "kit" and the 4x4 calipers was. No response (suprise suprise!)

Also save yourself some $$ and buy a drill bit to cross drill your own stock rotors. It looks like that is all MSA did. Cross drilling rotors doesn't improve braking, it only lightens the rotors. And if you are worried about weight then you may want to reconsider the 4x4 calipers since they probably add more than 10 pounds per wheel.

Look at the 260z links posted above. Ross C will hook you up for considerably less than the MSA setup.

those MSA brakes look like the 84-86 toyota 4 piston calipers. if i were you i'd check to see if you can use a vented rotor setup with those. i suspect that if you can you'll also need to pick up some spacers for the rotors. if you cannot use the vented rotors with that package then i don't think the upgrade is worth the hassle. i'm currently upgrading to the 88 toyota calipers because the earlier sets have two large and two smaller pistons whereas mine have four large pistons. check out this site for the comparison between the two. http://www.zcar.com/articles/dat74z/brakes/ then check out Ross C's package at modern motorsports http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=48 i think he's got the best package going. :-D

Guest z1 performance

If you guys want, we can easily supply the bolt on Toyota setup for you.....not sure if doing "commercial" posts is ok here, but if anyone is interested and the mod's here don't mind, I can post prices.

These are always in stock too :)

Adam