HybridZ

wanted RB26dett head

Guest DaneL24

I'm very curious about this too. Does anybody know what kind of price to expect for this head with the intake and exhaust manifolds as well? By the way, I will look at Skylines Down Under...but considering that this is the RB Forum...maybe somebody will know.

yah I found a head for the BR26DETT and was shocked when the price was converted to USD about 2400 shipped (3900AUD) for just the head. I decieded against that head and am on the search for a RB20DET head since the whole motor cost about 1000USD I figure that just the head won't be to expensive plus it would be able to work on any zcar because of the spacing and the fact that it was a 2.0 liter., if I'm right I did see some pics of a stock gasket on a RB20 head and it's almost perfect I just need to know which holes were ment for oil so I can relocate them I really want this to work for us. Also if anyone can post me some pics of the timming belt tensioners I might go that route But I need to see some first. The problem at had is the oil pump and distributor if I go that route but I would really like to use the belt.

tbs

Guest DaneL24

An RB20DET is a 4 cylinder engine, how do you expect to put that head on an L6? Since the RB26DETT Head is a direct bolt on, just find one for a better price and fix the oil passages.

Sleeper I think that he is thinking of the SR20DET that came in the silva's in Japan. Thats a four cylinder and we have them in the states non tubo it's called a 240sx. Untill a few days ago I didn't know any of the motor numbers at all but I know a lot of them and some how I memorized them, and I usually don't ever memorize anything maybe it's because I have such a passion for zcars and performance. Well I'm sold on the RB20 head unless I can find a RB26 head for the same price but it will all work the same.

tbs

TBS,

Are the bore centers the same on the rb's as the L's? The other thing I would like to know is the difference between te rb series heads. rb20, 25, 26. Is the basic head the same casting? I wouldnt be surprised if it was and that they just played around with valve sizes and variable valve timing.

Douglas

Untill a few days ago I didn't know any of the motor numbers at all but I know a lot of them and some how I memorized them, and I usually don't ever memorize anything maybe it's because I have such a passion for zcars and performance. tbs

Every new post from turbobluestreak is a ray of sunshine in my life. Probably unintentionally hilarious, but hilarious nonetheless. :D

Alan T.

Guest empracing

i dont know if you have done so but i wonder if its worth paying the custom dragracing motor makers a visit.

we have a guy in australia who makes 500ci 4 cam multivalve topfuel motors and mills the heads in house.

america being what it is theres probably hundreds of em over there that would be abel to help you just a thort...

I hate to burst your bubble, but this has been looked into. I remember reading about an engine tuning house in australia that had been trying the very same thing. At last I heard they had dumped roughly $40,000 into it and still hadn't gotten it to work.

here is an RB26DETT block.. http://www.exvitermini.com/pics/1905blk.jpg

here is an L28E head gasket, post 81 http://www.superiorgasket.com/HG-L28E-81.jpg

here is an L28Eup to 81 http://www.superiorgasket.com/HG-L28E-75.jpg

they arent even close. look at all the coolant holes AROUND the cylinders on the RB block. there are no holes in the L block for this to flow.

My best guess was to take 2 KA24E heads and lop one cylinder off each, have them welded end to end. But making a camshaft for that monster woudl be a task on its own. btw, heres the KA24E gasket http://www.superiorgasket.com/HG-KA24E-89.jpg which is retardedly similar to the L series gaskets. Infact, i had a KA24E that blew up so I took it apart and got the headgasket out of it and it matches hole for hole up to my L28 head gasket. except for the whole 4 cyl vs. 6 cyl thing.

sorry for the long post

McAdam

No I haven't considered that but I'm betting that the cost of it will be close to what an engineer designing the part and making the first run prototype and that was about 15000-20000 for the first and 600+ for everyone after that and to try and justify that cost would me very costly. So I'm going with the RB20 head because the cost can easily be justified because it's mainly machineing, and you can then on your own buy any skyline L6 manifolds for it. Thus cool import parts that are newly desined for the skylines and a higher rev but your going to need a new crank dampener I'm going to see about getting a BR20 one because it looks just like ours and will handle the rpm range.

tbs

Hey Mack that sounds intersting but I do belive that it will work check my other post under L6 performance I friend posted me a pic of an RB20 head with the gasket on it and it really matches up I don't personly see why it would cost that much maybe there tring to use belt and not chain I'm going with a chain because I can set it up eaiser I'm going to try it out anyways but thanks for the warning I will keep it in mind and thanks to everyone raising all these questions for me it's helping gather information and add to my nowledge of this. I've said this once before and I'll say it again I'm not going to let anyone piss on my Barbecue. But As I said thanks for the warning.

tbs

I did a little more research and I found that the stock heads worp in the middle and to weld two KA24E heads together there wouldn't be the best chioce because yes you are welding them together and making them stronger but your taking the flexability out of the head making it more rigid and more prone to cracking in that region, I maybe wrong it could work out just fine and the head won't crack but I don't want put all that work into a head and have it crack down the middle. Also to line them up and make sure that they are dead on perfect would be a task if there not and there just milled down then other cylinders would have different compression due to cc's on that side of the head. I remember watching a show on airplanes and it was on TLC and the next super sonic jet to come out they tried to weld the winds and in testing the all broke right around the weld. So they invented new ways of welding that fiction welds the two billets together bonding there molicules and leaving flexability intact.

I thought that I should get this out here so people can understand that so far I've looked at every angle except for the mercaides head, or finding an LY head. I looked at RB26,RB25,RB20,2JZ,KA24E,older supra heads, hacking up our stock heads, complete custom design and new casting of a run. From what I've looked at I like the RB20 the best or the custom build but I want to take and make this a lost cost as possible. Thus the RB20 but I did even think about taking it to Eldroblock and having them produce it when it's done, now that would work if I can convice them to make one if I give them a working model. Sorry for the long post.

tbs

• 3 weeks later...
Sleeper I think that he is thinking of the SR20DET that came in the silva's in Japan. Thats a four cylinder and we have them in the states non tubo it's called a 240sx. tbs

Not quite. The non turbo engine that is in the 240sx is the ka24de or the ka24e. The non turbo version of the sr20det, aptly named the sr20de, is in the 200sx. Not sure if it only in the SERs though. ERIC.