HybridZ

a pressing need?

I had a local guy stop by and ask me if theres a simple way to dis-assemble pressed piston pins and u-joints, I told him I only build floating piston pin engines anymore because

floating piston pins are the way to go here for both ease of maintinance and less stress on the parts if your going to be assembling and dis-assembling the engine yourself several dozen times while you get all the parts CORRECTLY fitted/clearanced

OR you can do what ive done and realize that the local machineshop wants $20 to press out and press back in a single (U) joint,theres 6 (U) joints in a single corvette . (I own (3) corvettes) if I change the (U) joints just once the cost would be $360 PLUS the cost of the U-joints themselfs) its a NO_BRAINER why I bought the shop press for $135

14590_lg.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=21029

be sides the local guys say the charge of a 12 pack of coke to use the tool and a little conversasion works out less in the long run :-D ($2-3 for all six u-joints)

btw once you install a stealth ram and a 200hp nitrous plate on your corvette YOU WILL LEARN TO CHANGE U-JOINTS

yeah ,you can upgrade u joints SCORP LAYED THIS OUT SO THERES NO NEED TO REDO IT AGAIN

http://personal.tmlp.com/scorp/vette/images/ujoints/

dont use china made u-joints

only use american made quality u-joints

u-joints with grease fittings are slightly weaker

use every possiable safety device including several good jack stands AND USE YOUR BRAIN FULL TIME, THAT SUSPENSION is under ALOT OF TENSION

the only thing Id like to add is the press makes things far easier, liquid wrench spray works better than WD-40 and marking the 1/2 shaft ends woth a lightly stamped marking helps (PSOE)pass side outer end (DSOE) driver side outer end , on the 1/2 shafts helps

highresimage?saleitemid=441144http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/441144

Guest Aaron

The press I have was my granddad's. He had it built by a local fabricator. I used it last summer for the first time while replacing the bearings in my lawnmower deck. I beat on one of those bearings for about an hour without getting it out. I put it on the press and had all 4 old ones out and the 4 new ones in within an hour. How much is your time worth? I will never be without one again.

Making us think as usual grumpy. I would have one if I had the room in the garage. I havent even bought myself a damn compressor yet due to space issues. One of these days I will be able to go to the track and blow out Ujoints with the same reckless abandon as you Grumpy. Just not today :D

Man-O-Man,

When and if I move out of CA, and have some major garage space, I'm going on a toy (tools) spending spree and a 10 ton press is absolutely on my list, as is a big-ass compressor, parts washer bay etc etc!!!

Tim