HybridZ

changing '78 from auto to manual - problem

boatbum

Hi,

I am/was hoping to change my '78 from an auto to a 5 speed.

I have a clutch, 5 speed, and flywheel from a '78 5 speed. Got everything disassembled thanks to a little help from Denny411 and the clutch pedal is now in.

Here's the problem, the flywheel from the 5 speed doesn't fit the crank from the auto. :cry: The flange on the crank on the auto is about 1/16 too big and the inner hole on the flywheel is about 1/16 too big for the spindle on the crank.

We checked the flywheel with another '78 4 speed and they are identical. It is the crank that is difference.

Has anybody experienced this? I couldn't find any info and it seems like it would have been a bolt in procedure.

Is there another flywheel I should be using?

One thought was to have a bushing made for the inner hole on the flywheel and then have the flywheel milled out to fit the crank but I think it would mess up the balance and not be a good thing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Teo

on the autos, they have this piece that needs to get pressed out, there is actually some kind of spacer for the flexplate that needs to be removed.

in its place, you will need a pilot bushing for a stick car. press taht in, and boom, clutch and all bolt right up. youll need a pedal...

Ok - now I am totally confused. I am assuming that the spacer is on the crank? I cannot see anything that resembles a spacer that could be pushed out from the crank. I do have a pilot bearing/bushing and I see how that fits but the crank still is too big.

I will take another look - but I am thinking maybe I just need to go with a V8 :D

Seriously - the guys helping me have just about everything to do it sitting in their shop (they build race motors) - I just need to buy the rebuild kit for the motor and a few nights of lap dances and they will put it all in.

What do you guys think? Should I spend more time on the L28 or go Chevy?

Thanks for all the input!

Teo

Ok - now I am totally confused. I am assuming that the spacer is on the crank? I cannot see anything that resembles a spacer that could be pushed out from the crank. I do have a pilot bearing/bushing and I see how that fits but the crank still is too big.

I will take another look - but I am thinking maybe I just need to go with a V8 :D

Seriously - the guys helping me have just about everything to do it sitting in their shop (they build race motors) - I just need to buy the rebuild kit for the motor and a few nights of lap dances and they will put it all in.

What do you guys think? Should I spend more time on the L28 or go Chevy?

Thanks for all the input!

Teo

Haha. Have some patience with the inline setup. It will serve you when you do an engine swap ;)

I cannot see anything that resembles a spacer that could be pushed out from the crank.

We didn't really see it either. You will notice the pilot bearing wont fit properly right? Keep banging gently around the crank area (around probably works best), or pry, until it starts to back off - at that point it just about slides right off.

Thanks mudge! I will do that later today - just got back from the car and I don't see it - but will bang a bit. And the pilot bearing did not fit right.

Nathan - Patience? What patience? I will have my friends do it :) I am actually pretty lucky to have these guys as friends - they have done most of the welding on my Velo Rossa kit and just love playing with the car. Waiting on the estimate for the V8 conversion. The guys are looking at the JTR book now and they will let me know today. The labor is free but the cost of lap dances and the bar tabs are killing me :-D:wink: Of course they will want to drive the finished car for a week in Florida on vacation but that seems to be a fair price???

I will post tonight or tomorrow and see if I find that *&^%$#@ spacer. If so, I will take pics for the next one who tries it. In reality, so far it has not been too bad. You guys have helped a ton.

Thanks!

Teo