HybridZ

Pics of VLSD halfshaft mod for 240z

RB26powered74zcar

Well I just received my Hybrid CV's from James 240twinturbo. They turned out very nice as expected.

I had a scare with the post office loosing them for a couple weeks, but everything worked out and I'm now ready to swap out my R200 3:43 LSD to the 3:7 VLSD.

This set-up makes it a bolt on using the 81-83 turbo companion flanges, or in my case since I already have the CV adaptors welded onto my 280 stub axels, so I don't have to do anything but swap the diff and the matching CV's.....

thanks james

LinkPhoto?GUID=3c981cd0-3461-1b22-65ce-16791c354e43&size=lg

LinkPhoto?GUID=4c974e75-4fab-6ffc-23b9-209aeb905132&size=lg

LinkPhoto?GUID=26672e56-12d2-79ee-620a-38c23aee1d63&size=lg

No doubt about it, that looks like a nice setup! What's a 3.43 R200 LSD out of?

Doh.... that would be a rare ratio wouldn't it ?? yelrotflmao.gif

The 3:54 LSD I have is a 10mm R200 that I inherited with my 260.

I will hold onto it so I can play back and forth o.gif with the ratio as needed....

Take a look at this thread. James explains what parts are used...

Posted: 28 Mar 2003 10:24 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the specific information to do the VLSD swap

***Input shaft(diff)- must use from VLSD

***Cage(diff side)- #175 cage(from VLSD)

***Race(diff side)- #174 race (from 80-87 AMC Eagle 4WD 4cyl)

***Shaft- OEM Replacement Axle # 87-7699-0 (from 80-87 AMC Eagle 4WD 4cyl) (from 80-83 AMC Eagle 4WD 6cyl)

***Complete Tripod(wheel side)- # 87-7801-0 (from 80-87 AMC Eagle 4WD 4cyl)

***Tripod Housing(wheel side)- 280zxt

So, using the AMC shaft the #174 race is placed on the shaft for the diff side and is compatible with the #175 cage. The complete tripod from the 80-87 AMC Eagle 4WD 4cyl fits onto the shaft and is also compatible with the 280zxt tripod housing. Whala....you have the shaft that works. The shaft is 13" long. As I said before you will want to use the 240z stub axle with the 280zxt companion flange and the passenger side will require a .5" spacer. Good Luck.

The only problem i can see with this setup is now you have a bulletproof diff and shafts but you still have the smaller 240z stub axles. i guess it really depends on how much power you are running through them as to whether it will become a concern. it really wouldn't be a problem to replace the stubs with 280z ones and get adapters made for the companion flanges if anything did happen. it is an awesome setup and took quite a bit of thinking to accomplish and that is why i like this site so much!!! :D