619-422-5384

6-8 wks - $180 each

Crower - Brian

619-422-1191

8 weeks - $177 each

Cunningham - Greg

310-538-0605

8-10 weeks - $180 each

and TopEndPerformance distributes Pauter rods but they dont carry them on the shelf. And they quoted me 2 weeks but i doubt that since i just spoke to Pauter.

Are these custom rods, or treated stock rods? How high will you be revving? Stock rods *can* be had for WELL under $100, if you have a sympathetic Nissan parts guy on your side. Probably good for 7250rpm or so as-is. Lead time maybe a week?

these are custom rods. im building a 3.0 stroker turbo. yes 3.0 and not the 3.1. the 3.1 uses an 89mm piston and a .120 overbore which i think is too much for a turbo engine with the excessive heat and all. im going with an 87mm piston with a .040 overbore. my builder recommended CP pistons b/c of their tighter tolerances.

As for the rods the stock design is 30 years old and i figure with an engine producing in the 400-500hp range. yes...im almost tripling the horsepower of the stock rod. and consdering the amount of money involved for the build it makes sense to spend a little extra for custom rods.

these are custom rods. im building a 3.0 stroker turbo. yes 3.0 and not the 3.1. the 3.1 uses an 89mm piston and a .120 overbore which i think is too much for a turbo engine with the excessive heat and all. im going with an 87mm piston with a .040 overbore. my builder recommended CP pistons b/c of their tighter tolerances.

As for the rods the stock design is 30 years old and i figure with an engine producing in the 400-500hp range. yes...im almost tripling the horsepower of the stock rod. and consdering the amount of money involved for the build it makes sense to spend a little extra for custom rods.

:-D So basically, you are using an 88mm piston?

And factory rods with prep are reputed to handle 600hp (WAY overbuilt, just the way I like it), but I understand about the custom thing. Stroker turbo is very nice - good luck with it.

Even at that hp level, rod life/reliability is really more a function of operational rpm levels. Ignition and fuel controls are WAY more advanced than they were 30 years ago. Suspension and engine mechanicals, not *as* much more advanced. That's what I have to explain to Z06, M3, etc. drivers that can't believe my dinosaur-age car was quicker than their latest/greatest tech gee-whiz-bang-mobile around the race track:)

Properly prepped stock rods are good to 600 hp. All you need to do is polish, shotpeen, bush for floaters, have the pin oiling hole(s) drilled and use ARP rod bolts. I did that with my engine and have had no trouble with rods.

As long as you don't wind the engine to 8k or higher, you shouldn't need custom rods, and you would probably tear up the crank before the rods anyway.

Good luck, but I would spend my money somewhere else.

i broke down the costs for acquiring and prepping the stock rods.

$100 for 6 rods

ARP rod bolts - $50 (Top End Performance)

My builder estimated 6 hours of labor @ $70 involved with prepping the rods and Top End Performance list said $450 for prep work.

Shot Peen, Mag, Bush small ends for floaters, Re-Size big ends, Install ARP bolts.

so total it would cost me $450 for 5 hours of labor, $50 for bolts, $100 for the rods.

so it comes to around $600 for the stock rods anyway.

Custom Rods cost another $500 so around $1100 total.

And i got my set for $850 so it only cost me another $250.

Just dont ask how i got rods for $850 a set.

And regarding the "Good to 600hp no problem" i've seen this on Top End Performances webpage but can anyone validate this claim for 600hp.

Hey Jeff, I'm gonna use the stockers for my stroker build so we'll see if they let go. By the way, how many of these are we gonna have running around in NJ, 3-4?! Is Chaz using custom rods or stockers?

You can polish them yourself, and you don't need to have them resized unless they are out of round, which is rare. You can also install the ARP bolts yourself.

I used a dremel to polish mine, and used the sanding rolls, but ace hardware has larger sanding roles that will work in a drill, and that should speed up the process. It is not a bad job to do, really, and that ought to save you some money.

Just a thought.

no Chaz isnt going with the stroker. however, with the work he's doing he's expecting a 60hp increase. And i thought his 240z was already fast.

i know he was doing a T3/T4 i think and the Perfect Power SMTP6 piggy back system.