HybridZ

need efi expert opinion fast!

Guest bigjim240z

Guest bigjim240z

ok..my 81 280zx n/a wont start. i have spark and compression, i have double and tripple checked all connections. i find that there is no fuel going into the engine from the injectors, but i do have fuel pressure at the fuel rail. i was told that the fuel injectors are fired my a signal from the ignition module on the distributor. is this the case?..whatever tells the injectors to spray fuel has got to be the problem. any advice is appreciated!..thanks jim

Guest bigjim240z

ok let me explain...i bought the car and it was not running, previous owner had some one who knew nothing working on it because they screwed up a simple timing chain install and bent all the valves...i installed a new head and got her all back together and its done right this time...i know the ins and outs of an l28 like i know my wife..lol...but when it comes to the efi and eletrical problems im kinda out of my ballpark...ive checked alot out today and come to think the computer is bad...i have power at all the injectors. ive checked the efi relay, and all the plugs and wireing are correct...now im pretty much stumped!

The fuel injectors are fired from the ECU, not from the ignition module - they are separate systems. It is possible the distributor signal is not getting back to the ECU - that may be what you are thinking about. To test whether the injectors are being commanded to fire or not, you need to get a test lamp from the injector connector to a ground, and check to see that the lamp blinks on and off while cranking.

I know the turbo engine better than the NA, but on the Turbo the distrubutor (except on 81 cars) is the full monte when it comes to telling the computer when to fire injectors and ignition. My understanding is the NA diz is a magnetic trigger instead of optical? I know the ign module is built onto the side of the housing.

Anywho, I found out that my injectors and my coil module were dead. I unhooked the fuel pump (you can do this via relay), and turned the diz over by hand to listen to each injector firing, only 2 made any noise at all. I pinned out the entire computer all the way back to the key several times (about 8), all trying to find this mystery problem. I got a signal from the diz, and to the ign module but the module never fired, tested coil resistance as well. So anyhow, grab a book if you dont have one and test test test, otherwise all these guesses can be expensive :(