HybridZ

Shaved and cleaned FI Intake

Cruez

Ok guys...

If you have a pic or link of some stock intakes that have been altered, shaved, etc......can ya post 'em for me?

I took off the fuel rail to find out what injectors were not firing (fixed)...... since I had it off, I decided to go ahead and make the new fuel rail.... well of course the intake would not look right without cleaning it up a bit (getting rid of all the screw bosses)......

As you can see this thing is snowballing..... :D

Back to the point.. I wanna see some pics so I can get an idea what I want it to look like.....I went ahead and started porting the intake...(sucker has a big lope right behind the throttle body) :shock:

The second pic looks very nice...

I started on the screw bungs last night and also blending the casting lines together...

One question.... what about the small holes that are left behind.... is there a filler I can use or will it have to be welded with aluminum rods.... or bond solder in there..... :?:

Of course my compressor decided to die on me after the first one :x thats another thread...

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21404

Guest JAMIE T

I do this sort of stuff all the time. I modified a Miata 1.8L intake to accept a 1.6L throttle body(you must use the 1.6L when swapping the 1.8L into the earlier Miatas, or else do some serious mods to the ECU, harness, etc...). I put aluminum rod into the un-used holes, then put a dab of weld on the top to seal it up. Ground it smooth and it looked totaly stock. I could have polished it up, but that dude couldn't have afforded for ME to do it. :wink: I've done a number of my own intakes the way you want to do yours. Become friends with a welder(who can weld Alum), it makes all the differance in the world as to how you get stuff done. Myself for example, I spend more time welding for other people than I do for myself. It's amazing how fast you make friends when you have something some one else needs. That can be good and bad!

Guest eric-z

sorry this is kind of a dumb question... the intake on my zx has hoses and other things attached to it(emissions?), the manifolds you posted do not have this and therefore looks better. can I take these hoses off? how does that effect the engine as far as running condition?

eric

even though you found the answer...

I am getting rid of them because....well, I don't need them anymore...

I went to an aftermarket fuel management system and almost all of them are not of use now...

update.... I got the compressor fixed today........AND IT WORKED FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES AND THEN IT DIED AGAIN :evil: TAKING THE POS BACK WHERE IT CAME FROM AND GETTING ONE SOMEWHERE ELSE!!

Man this sux....

Guest Anonymous

So, I see you do aluminum welding, is it absolutely necessary to use high frequency to weld aluminum? I am a Navy Nuclear certified welder, and when I went through school, we learned that to get a good bond with Al, you had to use a different freq, is some sort of attachment available for home welders, cause i've only used big commercial style navy welders. Just curoius, personally I am affraid to try welding my own intake etc, with a normal welder, If I am wrong please let me know, so that I can get to work on mine.

Guest JAMIE T

If you are talking about TIG welding alum., then yes. Constant high frequency. When TIG welding steel, you just need the high frequency to get the arc started. You can also MIG weld alum. You will need straight Argon gas and of course alum. wire. 4043 is the most versatile. I use a huge Syncrowave 351 TIG and a Millermatic 250 with a Spool Gun for all of my alum. welding at work. BTW, I can make a alum. MIG weld look as good as a TIG weld. In a few months I'm going to buy a Miller Dynasty 200 TIG welder for my own personal use. That thing is a beast, and very costly. About $2500 without accesories.

Well, the intake is coming along......

Still no compressor. Using a drill at the moment (very slow going)

Got a couple more spots to clean up. Also started on the new fuel rail. Couple more taps to do on it and it'll be finished up...

Don't think I'll be polishing the intake......waaay too much trouble... its the little spots that would take forever.. I'll probably paint or powder coat it...

Just have to decide on a color to make it stand out...

Couple begining pics Here

Lots of sanding and polishing.... plenty of different size buffing wheels, lots of compound, dremel, ...etc..

The large areas are not that bad.... its the inside corners and crevices that are a PITA.

update..

One of the throttle towers are off, (battery ran out on the recip saw) :roll: Finish it off tommorrow.

Cold start injector port removed, all unneeded screw bosses are gone.

Taking it tuesday to have the holes welded up, and a small portion where the cold start injector was.

Intake work pics here

another update..

Finished up the intake yesterday.... Matched the new TB to the intake and removed the lumps inside the runners and behind the TB.

Quite a bit of work went into the intake... For those who are considering the 240SX TB conversion... its not really a "bolt on" upgrade... you have some machining to do to get any results from it.

Also I don't have the airflow meter bottleneck either..... and I don't know how you would get around it on a stock FI Z.

Of course now, my air passage and filter will not work since I upped the size of the TB... :roll:

Intake and some other misc items going to get powder and ceramic coated today..... Hopefully some finished pics next week :-D

• 2 weeks later...