HybridZ

which NPR intercooler

Guest ZmeFly

who pissed in your cool aid?

for the price, show me the intercooler thats better, really.

yes we all know Spearco and those apexi monster cores are gonna flow better, can those be had for 200 in general?

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

On a stock T3 you don't need one uless you are boosting 18psi all day. If you do that you better address all needs in the fuel side and it's time to upgrade the turbo. Go with a small core that has high flow. Grand National with lots of end tank modification. Good luck.

Guest ZmeFly

going with something like a 944 ic then if the npr is to large? i do plan on upgrading to a t3t4 of course addressing the fuel side as well. would this do then.

from what i heard the npr was the way to go. so is this a myth or?

To give you an idea of Intercooler size comparisons.

Here is a baby top mount top mount Toyota IC off a Supercharged Corolla (Japan only) versus the Gen.III Supra (7MGTE Engine)

13821250.jpg

Here is the Starion and Supra IC compared and alot of Turbo ZZX guys run these ICs on their L28ETs:

13821236.jpg

And here is the baby NPR IC that I will be running in my ZXT in a few weeks, compared to the Supra:

13821244.jpg

Hope that helps - Yasin

Here are a couple more pics to help identifying NPRs and put the size in perspective. Nothe that the medium and large NPRs have 2.75" pipe pointing slightly up/out.

The NPR pictured above is the smallest of the 3 sizes available. It can be identified by the pipes being 2.5" and pointing straight forward. Here is a comparison (implying nothing but size) of the medium sized NPR (and most common) to the Spearco. Note how much physically smaller the Spearco is but also note the size, number and configuration of the tubes. This was already discussed recently in another thread.

Isuzu-Spearco2.jpg

Here is a comparison of the medium and large NPRs

npr-compare.jpg

And, to put it all in perspective, here is the the large compared to a Z radiator.

npr-rad.jpg

HTH,

I encountered serious pressure drop at about 400RWHP with the large one. When I discovered it, I also measured charge temps at the compressor outlet and TB and despite the restriction, it was still doing a good job of cooling what it could flow. Quickest I ever went with it was 11.20 but I was still running the R200 with the wrong gearing.

I would say 350 would be a good target.