HybridZ

Stumped on turn signals!!!

WHP

I need help bad! Its inspection time and my turn signals just quit working. I have verified the following:

Fuses good and making contact

Emergency flashers work

Brake lights work

Brake light goes off when turn signal switch is put on

Tried new flasher

Tried new electronic variable load flasher

What am I missing here? Its like the turn signal switch is interrupting the brake light power to the bulb, but it won't blink. Also nothing with brakes off. What can I check next?

I hope the TS switch is not it. It was replaced with a new Nissan part last year and they ain't cheap. I have a spare Hazard switch, I'll try that first since all the power goes thru it before getting to the TS. Thanks guys.

Will Piatt

The problem was the back of the hazard switch was loose. I took it apart, cleaned the contacts and staked the back on securely and it works fine now. Got that inspection sticker whoo-hoo! Thanks Old Rice.

Will Piatt

I'm a little stumped too. If you just pull up or down on the lever, it won't stay engaged, unless you hold it & pull back a little. Is there some kind of ball bearing thing in there that I can tighten up?

I's important because I will be adding a lever to control the TS for my right hand.

I've seen two kinds of hazard switches. One is a push-pull with green light in the knob. The other like I was working with is a toggle switch. Inside it are a couple of sets of rocker contacts. When you push the handle down, inside 2 spring loaded plungers rock up to push the top contacts closed. Flip the switch up and the plungers move down onto the bottom contacts. I carefully straightened out the metal switch body and removed the non-conductive back with the contacts. Don't lose the spring loaded plungers, they are not held in by anything except grease. I then sanded the contacts, cleaned them with contact cleaner and reassembled. I used a small punch to stake the back closed again. Works like a new switch now.

Will Piatt