HybridZ

Port matching the turbo inlet

Guest jt240z

Guest jt240z

Is there any advantage to port matching/widening the exhaust manifold outlet opening and turbo inlet to improve air flow? I looked at the transition from outlet to inlet and found as much as 1/8" overlap in some areas. It seems to me that making this are as smooth and large as possible along with a good 3" downpipe and exhaust would promote more flow through the turbo. Are my assumptions wrong? I'm running a T3/T04E hybrid with a .63 turbine A/R and stage 3 wheel. The compressor has a .60 A/R and the 60 wheel. Target boost is 18 to 20psi.

Guest jt240z

So the best senerio is to port match everything to the gasket size (a bit larger then the housings) so that I have a smooth transition from manifold to turbo. Is this correct?

Mine was the same way. I spent somme time and money on porting it and the the exhaust manifold. All I can say is that I think it was time and money well spent. It a hassle but, once you get started it's kinda fun. One thing I might suggest is to buy the electric porting tool from Sears or something. They work much better than the air powered die grinders. Not only that they don't seem to wear you out like the light weight air powered kind.

Hopefully today I'll get off my butt, and start on my exhaust system.

Guest JAMIE T

Agreed. I use a big electric Milwaukee Die grinder for heavy port work. I do use the light duty air grinders for most other things though. I use a Dremel foot type speed control for the electric grinder.

Guest jt240z

Thanks guys. I was just worried that there was some reason for the port mismatch that I was overlooking. I have a high speed die grinder that seems to do the trick. I'll match the ports on both the manifold and the turbo to the same size as the gaskets. I had to add a 1/2" space to the system since I'm going to be running the T04E housing. This allows me to still run the metal shielding between the compressor housing and the exhaust manifold without interference.

I matched my exhaust manifold to the turbo gasket (which matched the turbo inlet precisely). I couldn't believe how much of a lip there was - had to be a casting mistake, especially since the gasket matched along the top edge.

I got an electric grinder from Harbor Freight. It was cheap (50 bucks I think) and it works well. I got a carbide cutter from the hardware store, and I still use the same one, after doing the exhaust manifold to turbo, and the bumper shock for intercooler clearance, the intercooler lines, and I am sure a couple other things.

Just watch it around a loose shirt, it will tangle you up in a hurry, and to rip your shirt. Eye protection is a must as well. :lol:

Just watch it around a loose shirt, it will tangle you up in a hurry, and to rip your shirt. Eye protection is a must as well. :lol:

:D

I once had a piece a metal go into my eye while I was grinding the ex. manifold outlet since I'm too lazy to wear an eye protection over my glasses. Anyway, what was ironic was that my eye doctor got a real small die grinder to pull the metal out of my eye :shock: Good thing she was hot. :D

Loose clothing is never good either. I had my T-shirt sucked into a blower once.

I'm always getting to accident :?

Hey Yo, I did the same thing several years ago. Only I waited about 3 days before going into the Dr. WOW that hurt. I usally think I have a realitivly high pain tolerance but, after awhile it was almost more than I could bear. I even missed the first day of work in 5 years or something.

Wear eyewear...... It's actually there for a purpase.