HybridZ

GUYS PLEASE...CAN ANYONE HELP!

My drive shaft is too long 20.5 inches center to center 700R4 Stealth yoke. My question is how far should I pull the front yoke out when installing. Should there be about a 1 inch pullout distance figured into the driveshaft? I want to make sure when I have this thing shortened I do it right. I go to the states on leave next Tuesday and plan on taking it with me to fix.

:cry:

"The ideal driveshaft length will place the yoke about 3/4" from bottoming out in the transmission." JTR 7th edition page 6-2.

My driveline guy, who is now deceased, made the drive shafts for the original Scarb kits. He said 1".

I think as long as you have a good bite on the output shaft of the tranny and have at least 3/4" for the motor to move rearward on a hard launch you should be fine. JTR says that they have seen the motor move rearward as much as 3/8" on drag race starts.

I hope it's no more than 3/8" because thats all the clearance my dizzy has to the firewall.

Guest cowboy6280

I didnt have one done for a Z but I did have a driveshaft made for my pickup. When I had mine done the guy who did it told me have at least 3/4".

Guest Slvrhase

I have built a few street rods, all of them we would pull the yoke out 3/4" from bottoming in the tranny to take the measurements. Always worked fine!

Not as much is required on an IRS setup since the arc of the suspension travel isn't trying to pull and push like it is on a solid axle. To some extent, depends on the yoke you use. 3/4" is a good number to use IME. The fore and aft movement of the motor and trans as well as the diff on its mounts needs to be accounted for.

Wait!!! Stop!!! Hold everything!!! My driveshaft is too short....I live in Texas....maybe we can trade. I can check it tonight and let you know how long it is (the driveshaft you perverts). Let me know if interested.

Jeff Hickl

I think it's more foolproof to put the yoke all the way into the trans, measure the center to center distance between the u-joint holes on the tranny yoke and differential adapter, and then subtract 3/4" or so.

It's easy to bump the yoke while making the measurement, so why not put it all the way in and subtract 3/4" later?

BTW, Corzette is in Japan, so shipping would kill you :).

:D Hey guys thanks for the post! I am going to San Angelo on Wed. A shop there will shorten and balance for $40. I just hope they don't confiscate my shaft from me at the airport thinking its a pipe bomb or something... Im going to Lisbon NH and Amissville VA via Dulles for two days each as well. Anyone in those areas let me know...maybe we could meet and chat etc... I will have 5 days in Angelo and 2 each in the other areas. Thanks for all the help. I will be a Hybrid Master one of these days! I have some engine install pics coming soon. After I mounted my engine in the set back position for the first time it blew me away. Seems really tight and different than the Scarab. I guess Ill just have to get used to it! Another thing is before the restore it was only running 13.7's at best with about 300 HP crank. This build is supposed to be 450 or so. I havent driven anything with power for about a year and a half so Im sure it will take some getting used to again. Can't wait! Pics will be up soon! :lol:

If anyone is interested, here is what I have to date:

73 240Z/357 SBC. AFR190 Heads, AFR Intake match ported, Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller retrofit 520/510 Cam, Retrofit Hydraulic Lifters and Rockers 1.5, Eagle full floating H Beams, KB106 Hyper flat tops, Scat Crank 3.48, Ceramic Block Huggers, Holley HP750DP, MSD Billet Distributor, MSD 6A Ignition, Blaster Coil, Edelbrock Aluminum WaterPump, Hi Flow Oil Pump, Griffin Aluminum Radiator, Underdrive Aluminum Pulley Set, Morosso 8.5 Red Wires, Fuel Cell 16 Gallon, Holley Blue Pump, 3 Way Return Regulator, AN Fittings through out, Crane Brake Booster Canister with gauge, 700R4 with 2800 stall lock-up, Toyota Front Brake Upgrade, Tokiko Illuminas 5 way adjustables, Dual 2 1/2 with x-pipe into DynoMax mufflers rear, Cowl Induction, Front Mount Tranny Cooler, Drag Lite Racing Rims, Mickey T ETs rear.

Not to mention a total restore with floor pans and paint. Must have rollbar!

:-D