HybridZ

Push Button Ignition

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I did a search and didn't find anything. My ignition switch went bad and I want to make a push button start. The rest of the ignition works but I have to kind of tilt or jiggle the "start" selection on my ignition. So basically I want to be able to put in the key and turn the car to on and push a button to start it. Can anybody help?

Guest livewire23

i know you could do it yourself by installing a red button that jumped the two connections on the starter. Upside, cheap, sweet looking button, all custom. Downside, although the car wouldnt start, people could still crank your car without the key. the fuel pump wouldnt come on, but the starter would still turn the motor. Actually, this sounds so cool that I think I'll go wire one up right now. I wonder where I could get a button?

Guest livewire23

tim: every time i visit your site for some pictures of your interior setup, Im sorely disappointed? where you hiding it all at? I want to see the big red button, and the gauges.

Guest livewire23

doh! there it is. Now I love that look. Im sure any passenger who didnt know what he was in for would get scared REAL quick with one look at all those gauges and the big red starter button. My dash is gonna look just like that, except my boost gauge is going to have a CF background so that is stands out from all the rest.

There's another lighted button by IGNITED. Don't know how it fits but the S2000 one fits great in the 240Z dash hole.

Make sure you have a good solid backing for the button, otherwise someone with their big fat thumb will push it right through the dash! Tim240Z! :twisted:

Livewire, my button is "armed" unless the key is in the ON position, kinda stupid but it's a street car and I don't want anyone to be able to drive it away without even having the keys.

Owen

Guest livewire23

hey tim, what'd you do to mount those gauges in the holes? the gauges are just a wee bit smaller than the opening. I dont want to have it like len, with the gauge constantly falling in the dash. :D

Guest livewire23

well my gauges showed up yesterday and they look badass. only thing is, I have the sport comp ultra lites, which are tiny. they're about half the size of that hole. Oh well, I guess I can fab a pod or something.

Guest livewire23

i suppose I probably could, but I kinda like em. Im gonna take the two of them, and eventually a boost gauge, and put them down at the bottom of the center consol above the hazard light switch. then I can have a/f, oil press, and boost all together down there. And then I'll use the 2-5/8 in spots for water temp, fuel level and oil temp or something.

• 2 months later...

with the 2 5/8" guages I removed the plastic bezels from the stock guages and used them with the autometers. I repainted them black, sealed them to the dash, and then mounted the autometers behind them nice and tight. It made a very nice fit and there was no extra charge for the pieces. :cheers:

Guest Thurem

Looking in some carmagazine today, found pic of starter button, underneath flipcover on top of stick for stickshift, looked Bada$$. Flipcover was flush with shifter. Was in some supercar, don't remember which though or what magazine.

Thure

hey tim, what'd you do to mount those gauges in the holes? the gauges are just a wee bit smaller than the opening. I dont want to have it like len, with the gauge constantly falling in the dash. :D

Sorry livewire, I haven't looked at this thread for a while. Just like Owen says, except I got a 10ft roll of it from Pep Boys, with the adhesive backing. Works like a charm.

Tim