HybridZ

will this welder work for me

ToplessZ

I don't have first hand experience with that specific make and model, but for welding sheet metal that "quad position heat setting" will probably drive you crazy. Try and hold out for one with the continuously adjustable heat control. Also consider a gas upgrade a must have option.

I have done ALL my welding with my Chicago Electric welder that is very similar to that one. All flux core, and mine only has 4 amp setting too. The 4 setting thing is a little restrictive, but I have had no problems at all. The only real difference is mine is 230 volt.

Seems like a decent price. Check out harborfreight.com and compare prices for similar equipement.

The ebay seller has a bunch of good feedback, so looks legit!

I say go for it. I don't think that you'll find anything much cheaper....just see what shipping is going to cost you.....harbor freight will usually ship for free with orders over $50.

Tim

Welp didnt get as much input as I would have liked but I went ahead and bought the above welder for 238.99 shipped to my door. Not bad for a 370 dollar welder. Anyone know how much the required gas bottle will cost me. Or at least to get one filled. If Tim can use a cheap welder and do all kinds of cool stuff....guess ill have to learn :)

• 2 weeks later...

It seems every welding supply has a different deal on tanks. Some want you to buy a tank, some rent or lease them.

My supplier sells them. I think $60 for a bottle, and $ 16 to fill it. However, since my first use was to do some aluminum, and I bought an aluminum kit for my mig, He let me use the tank free, but charged my the fill cost. This is because I need straight argon to weld aluminum.

Good luck! By the way, you do not have to have the gas. You can use flux core wire on your machine. It will need to be set up for that- Read the instructions! You can use the flux core for floor pans and other welds that will be concealed by sound proofer or undercoat. - Good practice stuff. Flux core wire is cheap at Home Depot too.

Guest Your Car is Slow

The weld looks like crap IMO without the gas.

I guess if you only use it in places that arent visible....still just "looks" weaker to me :)

ToplessZ-

If you are on your own (without someone who can weld), when delving into your first welds, Get some scrap metal and practice, practice, practice.

I still think that if you go thru a couple of pounds of flux core and learn technic, you will feel very comfortable "re-learning" with the gas.

You will get the hang of the heat settings and speed controls soon enough. Remember that the sound of the arc is a good indicator of how the weld is doing. Should sound like bacon in a hot skillet (sort of). Watch Junkyard Wars or Monster Garage and listen to some of those guys weld.

Have fun!

• 1 year later...

I'm looking at purchasing a welder as well. I'm not sure what options are important, but there are several at Harbor Freight that may be good deals. Which one do you think I need for a newbie just getting into welding?

90 AMP FLUX WIRE WELDER $119.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44567

87 AMP, 115 VOLT FLUX AND MIG WELDER $174.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=6098

DUAL MIG WELDER 151 $199.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=6271

They also have a few ARC welders.

As Tim posted, shipping is free.

Or all of these suck and I should get something else?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

A MIG with gas and an OxyAcetylene torch is a good setup for someone into auto work. The two combined can cut and weld just about anything, and the gas shield is almost required on thin sheet metal.

The Harbor Freight ones are fine for light duty home use. They had the $199 "dual MIG" on sale for $149 last month at a sidewalk sale.

I use a Loncoln Electric 110V welder, with the flux core wire. I didn't have too much trouble welding sheet metal with it.. I can get the gas kit for it, but where I live I'd have to buy the bottles.. plus the gas kit (regulator/hoses/conection) price, it gets expencive.. I'll stick with flux core for now. And yes you can get some decent welds with it, it just takes some practice. Happy welding man! :)