HybridZ

Long Tube headers

Guest chip

Guest chip

Anyone run long tube headers on a chevy v8 conversion? How does it clear the steering column. I have seen several "blockhugger" headers used with no clearance issues but want to run the long tubes for better flow.

thanks

Chip

I got a quote from Rewarder Headers (who will be doing the coating for me), and they quoted $800 for setup and then about $350 per set. I posted this before and not enough folks were interested to make the price worth it (to split up the setup fee).

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Joe;

I just happen to have the S&S catalog in my hand.

FULL LENGTH HUGGER HEADERS

sbc: 16 GA., 5/16" thich x 3" collectors.Raw or chrome or costed.

P/N 5205, Raw S.B. 1-3/4", straight or angle plugs. $244.60. Coated $454.60

Ya, Tim did a nice job there. I did my first set when I was nineteen and they turned out fine. It's like working on a jigsaw puzzle, you just move along snd tack and bend, tack and bend, it all works out. It might be tough on a practicing Christian though, curse-wise that is.....LOL

here's a link to the site: http://www.ssheaders.com/StreetRod.htm

the 5205h's are pictured at the top of that page. however, the price is higher now than reported by SPIIRIT, at $276.75 raw and $486.75 for coated. here is the description from the webpage:

SB 1-3/4" Long Hugger 1927-34 1935-48 Fat Fenders with Rack & Pinion/ /62-67 Nova with Rack & Pinion Steering/Straight or Angle Plugs/ 240/260 Z Datsun with Small Block Chevy

and, if i'm not mistaken, andrew baxley used part number 5210 for his car. i'm not sure of the difference, but they are listed to fit the same '27-'34/'35-'48 fat fenders.

i have the 5205h's for my car, but not yet installed since the car is back in paint prison. a side note: they work with both the jtr (though the passenger side is kinda low like mentioned previously) and hooker installation kits.

Yes the MSA headers are S&S brand. I bought the Shorty Hugger headers from MSA and they are stamped S&S.

I believe that the major drawback to the S&S headers are that the pasenger side collector hangs wayyyy low.

How low is low tim? I am thinking of getting a set of these also for my 327 project 72

Guest Vince

I got my S&S long tubes from MSA a couple days ago for about $230, they look awesome. 8) I'll be installing them within the next couple months, we'll see what happens....

I think the issue is that as the tubes come down from the ports, they take too long to start turning toward the rear. They are too long between the near horizontal rearward part of the primaries and the ports. So you need to section the primaries, actually.

this pic is a little too dark, but you can see what pete is talking about:

fddba439.jpg

the driver's side header is fine, with it's lowest point being at just above the bottom of a stock-sized oil pan. on the passenger side, however, you can see that it sits about 2" lower. sectioning the primaries for the passenger-side header would be the ideal solution.