HybridZ

HEADLIGHTS

jzd14

hey guys, my headlights suck!!!!

I have a '73z and i converted the stock halogen headlights to h4 using a housing from a company called eurolite

I have a GM 100amp alternator on my car and i bought some PIAA 135/125w xenon bulbs

My headlights are still pretty dim though, and when i aim the headlights so the low beams are aimed correctly, then i turn on the high beams and they're pointing at the sky

If i aim the high beams correctly, then the low beams are nowhere near correct

I think these reflectors are to blame

Has anybody ever used these eurolite headlamps? What did u think of them?

I want to know what you guys have done to make your healights brighter

I'm not just looking for brighter, but i also want an excellent beam pattern (for high and low beams :roll: )

Has anybody here used a different brand h4 conversion that has worked well?

Also, any insight into the new HID conversion kits will help: Are they any good? WHat's this 2nd generation HID i've heard about? Are they worth the high $?

Lastly, I also want a good pair of driving lights (i don't care what shape they are- oval or round or rectangular)

I will be doing a lot of at night highway driving and want to be able to see EVERYTHING that may happen in front of and to the side of me

Has anyone had any luck with a certain brand or type of driving light?

I've looked at hella and PIAA but there seems to be just too many to choose from, and not enough info on them

Hella has a really nice website that shows beam patterns and brightnesses for a few of their products but i can't seem to find those same driving lights anywhere for sale

Your help is EXTREMELY appreciated

Thanks very much, sorry for the length

-Dutch

There is/was someone around in the US who called his business something like H4 Lights who apparently sold all the good stuff.

A headlight relay is what you want too, maybe some info in archives as to how it is wired up? Makes an amazing difference, even with medium powered bulbs. Definately recommended.

Guest Anonymous

The factory sets the low beam elements off of the high beam alignment. You get car level and back 15" from wall. Find center of car and mark wall.Measure distance between the light centers and mark wall. Measure from ground to center of light and mark wall same height. Adjust horizontally and then vertically using high beams only. The high beam will be set so that the top of it is touching the horizontal line.

Those halogens should light up the whole countryside!

WOW!!! :shock:

I just did pete paraska's headlight relay mod - it's absolutely AMAZING how bright my lights are now

thx guys for the info

it looks like as far as reflectors go, i should prolly try either cibie or h4 lights - thx again for the info there

do you guys have any experience with driving lights though (on your z or any other vehicle)...no one has chimed in on that yet

SPIIRIT-I looked in my Haynes manual to see what it said about aiming headlights

it said pretty much what u described but it said to do it with the "main beams" not the high beams

is that just a generic thing that Haynes puts in all their manuals (not datsun specific?) or is there something else going on

just trying to make sense of it all :D

thx

Guest Anonymous

Ya 72;

Well, now you know..... main beams are high beams. These days many people seem to think it's just fine to skip around with what they say and use loose terminology. If I say "Main Beams", you are supposed to know what I mean for sure somehow. I've had such preblems all my life with the speech and written word of others.

You're probably a 'C' student like me but don't worry about it; Bush was a C student at Yale and now he's our President! I have noticed over the years that 'A' students get the grades in tests but perform poorly (if at all) on the bench. I guess God takes care of us all in different ways and that's why often two heads are better than one (even tho' it looks odd).

Driving Lights? Halogen lights are a derivitave of aircraft "landing Lights" for your information. If you mount em' low they aren't going to do much more than what you have already unless they have a special "Focus". What are you looking for at night that's so hard to see anyway? Are you thinking like pickup trucks with top mounted banks? Or maby "spot lights" or the Sun Lights" off a helicopter? Or are you really an "A" student?.....LOL.

Guest Anonymous

MAYHEM;

Ya know Mayhem, I been thinking about 'thoughts' and wondering where they come from and I thought you might tell me what you think?