HybridZ

How to choose a External WG?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

I'm not at this point yet, but...

I'm having a hard time finding how to choose the right size WG. Tial makes 35mm, 40mm, and 56mm(I think that is right). When I come to point of needing an external WG, I will be running a t-series turbo, maybe a T66 or slightly larger. I won't know for sure until I get to that point.

Anyone here run a seperate WG dump tube?

bigger is always better in my opinion. Tial is very nice and the 40mm should be good. I believe they are rated for 500hp. The racegate is 42mm and it is rated for 800hp(????). Anyway, I run 2x HKS 40mm standard wastegates. The kicker about both are the hole is actually 35mm for the HKS and Tial 40mm. It is only the OD of the valve that is actually 40mm. Who'da thunk it.

I like the Tial one's. That is what I am going to run when I go to external. I would run the 40mm, I don't think you need to get bigger then that.

I would also plumb the dump back into my exhaust, I hate the racket going to atmosphere. I had one that did that, and people know you got a turbo with that.

I purchased the Turbosmart Pro-Gate 45mm wastegate. Very nice piece and it uses v-band clamps so fabricating is alot easier that trying to line up bolt holes. Here is a link to the Aussie distributor though I think they have a U.S outlet now. The exchange rate was a bit more favorable when I purchased mine (I paid around 450.00) but per this website it is now closer to 550.00 which is getting up there for a wastegate.

http://www.autospeed.com.au/shop/category_804/browse.html

Anthony,

'71 Datsun 510 wagon, '91 Toyota Supra Turbo engine (327rwhp)

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

On that size turbo you need to go large. I carry Turbonetics Racegate they go for around $390.00, for the money they are the way to go they can handle up to 900hp and are very durable.

Guest z1 performance

Bigger is definately not better in the world of wastegates..too large is as bad as too small.

We are TiAl dealer 9as well as HKS), so can help pick the right one for your car..or you can call TiAl directly, and they will help you select. It comes down to a few things, such as the turbop (both in tems of overall designation as well a trim ratings of the wheels and A/R of both sides), intended boost level, etc.) I run a T66 right now, and use an internal wastegate..and it works just fine....very good boost control, and I am able to run down to 6 psi (thats with my bosot controller turned off), without creep of any kind. On my "higher" boost setting,(14 psi), it hits that level and is matained through redline.

Adam

Guest z1 performance

Mine's a ZX...as for specs on the turbo, I wish I had them! The turbo was one of the first things I got a couple years back when we started this latest phase of mods (see the thread in this forum with pics of the motor...updated pics coming tomorrow). Anyway, the guys who did the turbo for us are no lionger in business, and I cannot find the specs anywhere.