HybridZ

Finally got pics of mounted miata rack!

• 2 weeks later...

J260z. Sorry it took so long, I'm house shopping, and all my spare time is in that . Anyway I finally measured the inner pivot pionts, The stock rack was 24 7/8" and the miata was 26". so it seems that your subaru rack is very close to mine. When I install the shortened tierods with the miata rodend's , the angel of the tierods followed the Lower Arms almost perfectly. I took pictures, I'll post them tomorrow. :-D

• 1 month later...

Great job, even by my standards. :twisted:

Was it relatively easy, in retrospect?

It looks like you used the stock steering shaft? I would like to see a writeup, too, because I'm in the process of getting price quotes from local custom shops to do the Mustang rack conversion.

Keep us informed on how you mounted the pump. I have the L28 engine still in there, so it might be helpful.

Thanks for the encouragements guys. I'm not very good on right up's. but I'll try. The Crossmember needed some massaging. Mostly at the driver side engine mount. It needed to be clearenced about 1/2 inch. The mounting ears for the rack itself were cut in half and extended 1/2 as well. The miata rack has a flat bottom, Forming a "D" shape mount. So the ears on the crossmember need to have a flat surface. I would say it is NOT a boltin mod. If your good with a welder, It's easy. But if your not. like me, It's hard. That's why I had a shop modify the crossmember for me.I didn't trust my welding after I tried on a stare CM. Now the steering shaft is actually quite easy, the top half is from the Z and the bottom half from the miata welded together. The miata shaft is hollow. so the Z half slipped into it rather well. The tie end rods I had rethreaded by a machine shop and cut down by about 3 inches each side, I used the stock ends from the miata.I'm still trying to figure out the pump mount thing. When I do I'll post some more pictures. Well I hope that helps guys. :-D:-D