HybridZ

Mounting a Racing Harness

two40

Checking out my 3 point belt I realised that it will hurt me more than help me in the case of an accident. My body just wants to slide off the shoulder strap when I push forward so I thought it a good idea to buy a racing harness.

I ended up getting a 5 point one and now I need to mount it and have no idea what the proper mounting points are. From what everyone tells me the shoulder straps need to be mounted as close to shoulder height as possible to avoid downward pressure in the case of an accident.

Anyone got any ideas on mounting positions and maybe some examples? I'm really only concerned with the shoulder strap mounts.

Cheers

You should have received detailed instructions with the harness you purchased. You can also call the manufacturer of your harness and I'm sure they will send you instructions. If you bought a used harness and its over 5 years old, throw it away.

Here's one link: http://www.ompusa.com/harness_notes.htm

For a 240Z you really have to install some type of stout bar between the rear strut towers to get a good mounting point for the shoulder harnesses. Its something that you'll want to do anyway to help stiffen the rear of the car so now you've got a reason to do it.

BTW... you must run a racing seat with the cutout in the shoulder area if you're using a 5 point harness. The shoulder straps will pop off your shoulders in a wreck if you're using the stock hi-back seats.

For a 240Z you really have to install some type of stout bar between the rear strut towers to get a good mounting point for the shoulder harnesses. Its something that you'll want to do anyway to help stiffen the rear of the car so now you've got a reason to do it.

BTW... you must run a racing seat with the cutout in the shoulder area if you're using a 5 point harness. The shoulder straps will pop off your shoulders in a wreck if you're using the stock hi-back seats.

I bought them new but the instructions might as well have been in Japanese. Besides' date=' I was after some examples like your suggestion with the strut bar. Now, I do have a strut bar but the towers are too far in to mount the outside shoulder strap (the angle created by the outside strap is overlaping my spine line) so I was looking for an alternative solution. I think I've found something apropriate here http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3564&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

The person at 240z.org wrote this

[i']"here is how my harness is set up in my car. I fabricated the mount which ties into existing mounting holes in the body. Pull the interior dog-leg panels and see what I'm talking about. You should see 4 pre-drilled and tapped holes in the body. This is where to mount the bar and it sit right at the correct height."[/i]

I don't have a racing seat but I'm not using the stock seat either. I've got a Recaro seat and there is room between the head rest and seat to thread the belt through.

Does anyone else have suggestions or pics of their set up?

Cheers

IMO, This IS NOT good.

1264Harness_Mount__2_-med.jpg

The mounting of the belts looks ok, but as JohnC said the belts must not be hung off the the side of a seat the way this pic shows.

They need to come thru the seat back and across your shoulders at the right hieght and width.

And second, the seat back should also be supported.

And second, the seat back should also be supported.

That used to be the case but recent racing crash test studies done by NASCAR and others have shown that a seat back brace causes more harm then good IF the seat you are in meets the 24g FIA 8855-1999 specification. Even the SCCA has revised their GCR to eliminate the seat brace requirment for FIA compliant seats.