HybridZ

MegaSquirt assembly Problems

Tim240z

Note that the original BOM and instruction sheet had the orientation of the LEDs incorrect.

The correct orientation is:

"1. Install LED's with flats/cathode/negative terminal/shorter lead - facing the DB connector"

(that's in "Colin's" latest V2 Megastim BOM/instructions at:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/megasquirt/files/Megasquirt%20Stimulator/megastim.txt ) You have to have joined the Megasquirt group and be logged in to get to the files.

This screwed mine up too - I gave my dad the older version of the BOM/instructions and he put them in backwards. Now it's a pain removing the old ones - I suggest cutting them off and soldering the new ones onto the old stubs left from the LEDs you cut off - the holes in the board are a tight fit for the LED leads, and you risk pulling the trace off the board removing the entire lead.

I think my MS is built ok, but my MegaStim is down for repairs until I replace the LEDs. I went through the schematic last night, connection my connection on my board with the VOM and one of the LED traces is hoses, so I'm going to put a jumper wire in to bypass it.

Only thing I can think of is making sure the COM port is really COM1 and not taken up by a mouse? That the COM is enabled and that any IR on the laptop is disabled (this can be a problem for Tunercat users). But I think I saw in an earlier post you did the Hyperterm test...

Side question, is anyone going to put inline resistors so the stock computer (controlling the timing) "sees" the injectors and doesn't blow something out? My new injectors I believe are 3.4OHM each so I still have to figure out MegaSquirt wiring for those anyway...

OK....I spent 4 hours tonight trying to get this POS to work....still no luck. I checked, double checked and tripple checked all the components. Only thing that I could find that was amiss, was a couple of the resistors were not resisting to spec. For example, the 330k Ohm res. on the stim board was only at about 65 ohm on the meter. I tested a new one and it was right around 330k. So I put in a new one. Tested again, and again the #s were down (???)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The test using hyperterminal was fine...everything worked as it was supposed to. The IR port is disabled, so that isn't the problem, and I am using Com1.

When I initially launched PCC, I got the "no .cfg file..using default" message, so I made a .cfg file which reads:

com1

Then I didn't get the error message anymore.

I am at a loss and am very disheartened with this MegaSh!t project of mine!!!!

Bah :cry2::twak:

Tim

OK....I spent 4 hours tonight trying to get this POS to work....still no luck. I checked' date=' double checked and tripple checked all the components. Only thing that I could find that was amiss, was a couple of the resistors were not resisting to spec. For example, the 330k Ohm res. on the stim board was only at about 65 ohm on the meter. I tested a new one and it was right around 330k. So I put in a new one. Tested again, and again the #s were down (???)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The test using hyperterminal was fine...everything worked as it was supposed to. The IR port is disabled, so that isn't the problem, and I am using Com1.

When I initially launched PCC, I got the "no .cfg file..using default" message, so I made a .cfg file which reads:

com1

Then I didn't get the error message anymore.

I am at a loss and am very disheartened with this MegaSh!t project of mine!!!!

Bah :cry2::twak:

Tim[/quote']

I'm no expert, but I would look for a solder bridge around the resistor. And do you mean 330ohm, or 33kohm? I don't see any 330k ohm resistors in the BOMs.

Tim,

Are you you posting these questions to the yahoo megasquirt group?? Literally hundreds of people have probably had the same troubles you are having. I'm not saying that the people here on Hybrid Z are not knowlegeble, but the experts on the MS group can answer your questions much quicker. I've posted questions and got them answered in a matter of minutes. It's a great resource.

If you are just posting your questions here, you may be wasting time.

Tim,

When you put a resistor in the circuit, it may be parallel to something else giving you a different effective resistance reading. But the 330 ohm ones are for the LEDs, and if the MegaStim is not plugged into the MegaSquirt, the circuit for them is not complete, so you should read the same resistance on those when installed. Which 330ohm resistor was it?

On the Com port thing, if the loopback test with Hyperterm worked, and your cable is pin 2 to pin 2, pin 3 to pin 3, you should be fine up until the MS box.

Did the echo test in Step J., page 12 of :

http://members.shaw.ca/megasquirt2/assemble.PDF

work? Did you get a character on the screen? If so, at least the communications portion of the MS is working.

Tim' date='

When you put a resistor in the circuit, it may be parallel to something else giving you a different effective resistance reading. But the 330 ohm ones are for the LEDs, and if the MegaStim is not plugged into the MegaSquirt, the circuit for them is not complete, so you should read the same resistance on those when installed. Which 330ohm resistor was it?

On the Com port thing, if the loopback test with Hyperterm worked, and your cable is pin 2 to pin 2, pin 3 to pin 3, you should be fine up until the MS box.

Did the echo test in Step J., page 12 of :

http://members.shaw.ca/megasquirt2/assemble.PDF

work? Did you get a character on the screen? If so, at least the communications portion of the MS is working.[/quote']

Pete, yes the communication test without the Processor plugged in worked fine. I think the resistor in question is R2 on the stim board. It's just North of the big middle resistor (with DB9 to the West).

Everytime I try to post on the Yahoo forum, it kicks me out saying that my email is bouncing!! I don't know why!

Tim

You have to sign in with the yahoo account that you first joined the MS group with.

Thankfully, the forums on Yahoo let you have mail from the group(s) be sent to an address other than the one that you joined yahoo group(s) with (i.e., Tim240Z@yahoo.com). Check your account info / profile to see if the email address that that group/username is using is valid.

You have to sign in with the yahoo account that you first joined the MS group with.

Thankfully' date=' the forums on Yahoo let you have mail from the group(s) be sent to an address other than the one that you joined yahoo group(s) with (i.e., [email']Tim240Z@yahoo.com[/email]). Check your account info / profile to see if the email address that that group/username is using is valid.

Got tired of messing around (this MS problem has put me in a permanent bad mood!!), so I just created a whole new Yahoo account!!

Tim