HybridZ

c/f?

vg30turbo240

Guest iamjackal

Dont know for sure but I think yeah its feasible. I was looking into carbon fiber actually to make some one of parts for myself so Ive done a bit of research. Anyway while Im rambling on let me get back to your question. Currently there are carbon fiber mufflers on the market, so far no downpipes or lengths of tubing available though. As we know the carbon muffler is just for the show and go guys but I do believe they would make an exhaust if people could see that as well. Personally I would go with titanium as the price of carbon fiber is near to the same as it.

Guest greimann
anyone know if a carbon fiber exhaust (aft the header) would be feasible? would it stand up to the heat?

Keep in mind that carbon fiber components also contain the epoxy that makes it stiff. The best high temperature epoxy is good for maybe 400 deg F. Certainly not good enough for an exhaust system. Titanium is the way to go for a light weight exhaust.

For all practical purposes, the weight difference between a thin wall 321 or 347 stainless exhaust and either a carbon fiber or titanium tube exhaust on a Z is negligable. Remember, our exhaust systems are very simple. There's not much there so going to lighter materials has a smaller affect on total system weight. For cars with complex exhaust systems like the Z06 Corvette you'll see greater weight reductions with the use of more exotic materials.

And what's posted above is true, while carbon fiber can handle a great deal of heat, the bonding materials break down at realatively low temperatures. The $2,300 CF air boxes run on the top of the competition GTS-R Vipers had to be replaced annually.

• 4 months later...