HybridZ

track MPH versus real MPH

stony

If my slip says im doing 127 MPH at the trap...should my speedo be reading the same ... that is if i had one ;>.... just curious...because im setting my gear ratio with a transmission calculator and using track slip time to compare

for example

the calulator says with a 3.90 rearend im doing 121 mPH in 3rd at 8000 rpm which matches the track slip....

the 4.88 according to the tranny calc says ill be doing 126MPH at 8000 rpm in 4th.... so back to my original question is the track mph the actual MPH the car is doing?

Quarter mile speed through the traps is calculated using two sensors. One before the finish line, and one after. The time elapsed between the two gives mile an hour. You cannot let out before the second light and get a good time, nor will your mph through the traps be accurate. Most likely your speedo is off anyhow, auto speedos are notorious inaccurate, especialy at speed. You should be more concerned with rpm and the general drag race guideline is you want to be at redline 100' BEFORE the finishline for fastest ET.

well i guess im in there... looks like at 8000 rpm i will be at 127 MPH (CALCULATED) which is my best MPH to date. i may have to go to 5th if not that will be perfect and should get me in the 10s ;> If i dont succeed this time im done for a while.

on a side note it is so frustrating seeing the big v-8 guys running low 11s and pulling the wheels off the ground ;>

im not worried about pull the wheels off. i just want a 1.6 or 1.7 60 foot what is frustrating is running an 11.1 at 127 MPH with a 2.0 60 foot. but like i said the new clutch and 4.8 gearing should get it off the line lots better ;>