HybridZ

How Big A Tire?

With Coil-overs and the proper offset on my wheels what is the widest tire I can get on the rear of a 280Z? I curently am running 225/50-16's with a '0' offset wheel and they are just touching the outside lip. With a 10mm offset toward the inside of the car I think I could get up to a 245/50-16. What would the soil-overs buy me space wise? Another 10mm, 20mm?

A 245 width tire will fit under your car with coilovers. You might consider going to a 45 series as a 245/50-16 will be almost an inch taller than your current 225/50-16. I think Pete Paraska managed to get a 255 width under his car.

Phantom, I was able to fit a 255-40x17 tire on a 8 inch wheel, with a 5 inch backspace. And I still have at least another 3/4 inch clearence on the inside. But I still had to roll the fender lip to keep the tire from rubbing on the outside. Hope that helps.

I forgot to add. The tires are kuhmo's 712. I do agree with John that different manufactures tire sizes are a little different from each other. Even if they have the same size labeled. What I would do, If I were you is go to a tire store and compare a Goodyear and a Kuhmo or any brand you like and see the actual physical size differences between them.I you want to see how they look on a car, Just go to my Yahoo web page. And scroll to the last picture for a rear view of the tire/wheel fit.

Guest zthang43

I'm running 245/60R15's on my Z, with the stock spring perch. I have about 1/8" clearance on the inside, and rolled the fender lip on the outside. I rolled it all the way, but it still rubs just a little on a hard corner or bump. It is also lowered about 1/2" though.

i'm running a yoko avs in a 235/40/17 size on a 17x8.5 compomotive wheel. no flares, no rubbing, nice. i have ground control coilovers though and the rear lips are rolled. it appears that i still have about 1/2" clearance both inboard and out front & rear.

i didn't use a baseball bat or other long rolling tool. we carefully relief cut [perpendicular to] the fender lip along the perimeter spaced equally and [carefully] hammered with a metal forming hammer along the lip to get it to where we wanted. prior to doing that we also trimmed it so it was all equal. once cut, trimmed and peened back it was all then prepped and painted. i did this about 10 years ago when i painted the whole car.