HybridZ

Why a unibody?

Guest the_dj

Guest the_dj

I wish my Z had a true frame so I could make the frame strong, and convert the body to fiberglass that can't rust.

Oh well, in a perfect world...........

:lol:

EDIT: How many people have converted to a frame? I want some pics. :twisted:

Guest cowboy6280

I have been pondering the "frame" thing. I'm new to the z-cars and sold my '70 vette project for some play money for my new z project. The vette was nice in that the body and frame was two separate pcs. Dont remember just exactly where I seen it, but someone was putting a vette suspension in their z-car and had a complete frame made. He cut out the entire firewall and floor of his car and welded the unibody to his new frame, and then planned on welding in a new floor and firewall. I havent looked into it enough but I would think if one is going to go to that extent, I would think you should be able to make some modifications the unibody where you could bolt it to the frame??? :?

Doesn`t a full frame add weight? I mean, the whole idea behind the HybridZ is light/little car, with a big engine. adding a full frame would only add more weight.

In a perfect world rust would not exist period. I guess that`s one of the drawbacks with our choice of project platform.

IMO, adding a full frame would be overkill. There have been several hybridz`s running in the 9`s with just frame ties,roll cages or both.

Think lightweight. :wink:

Guest the_dj

What are frame ties? I have done many searches on what to do for chassis rigidity but I don't know what I'm looking for. With the potential in the not too distant future for well over 500 hp, I need to start looking for ways to keep my baby from twisting in half. :?

Look at pparaska`s website. He has some really good info and pics on how he did his.

Mine are similiar but don`t require cutting the floor out to install them. I`ve got pics and a scanner but just haven`t taken the time to post them yet.

Guest the_dj

How much can I expect to pay for a full cage if the guy actually welding it in is working for free? :) Friends ROCK!

I've never talked to him, but he's a friend of my dad's and has told my dad he'd help me with whatever I need for free as long as he has some free time. :)

Dont remember just exactly where I seen it, but someone was putting a vette suspension in their z-car and had a complete frame made. He cut out the entire firewall and floor of his car and welded the unibody to his new frame, and then planned on welding in a new floor and firewall.

That is V8ZRacer260Z's project. I haven't seen him post in a while but I know he changed jobs a few months back and may be busy. This is the last update I think he posted http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=146611&highlight=#146611

Seeing that we are sort of on the subject of sub frame connecters, Why does every one use square or rectangular shaped tubing. A triangle is the stronges shape. You could just use angle iron and weld it up there and it shouldnt be as heavy. It would be a pain to atach to the existing square section however. I guess this is the reason.

Douglas

A properly constructed Chrom Moly full-chassis Z would weigh significantly less than a stock Z.

Mark

Me thinks not. All real race cars are "unibody" (F1, CART, etc), as are all real airplanes. Give me an axially stiffened shear panel over a truss any day.

There was a guy on this site that built a full tube chassis to race his Z in "E" modified (what ever that means). Unfortunately I can't find the thread since the switch to the new host. But if memory serves, his whole car was going to come in at something like 1700 pounds. Definitely not stock.

Unibody cars are a good idea. Why add weight that isn't structural (which is what the body panels become on a frame car)? Unibody cars are generally lighter and more rigid (for the weight) then frame cars. The draw backs are they are more complicated to design and build (although modern technology has this pretty well figured out) and don't give as smooth a ride. A frame car can be built heavier and include more isolation between the coach and the frame.

But for a sports car you want light weight and good road feel.

Since when is a "stock Z" a F1 or CART? I value your input Katman' date=' but please read my post again...

Mark[/quote']

Me still thinks a unibody Z will weigh less than a tube frame Z with all the rest of the comforts of a "stock" Z. Sure you can make a racing Z 1700 lbs or whatever, but that ain't because of the tube frame, it's because you've sacrificed a lot of other stuff.

Take the unibody away, build a full tube frame with the same structural capability, and hang everything else back on it and I doubt you'd weigh "significantly less than a stock Z". I could be wrong, just my opinion. :-D

Take the unibody away' date=' build a full tube frame with the same structural capability, and hang everything else back on it and I doubt you'd weigh "significantly less than a stock Z". [/quote']

I'm thinking this is most likely correct. The key phrase here is "same structural capability". I think most people overestimate the stiffness of a tube frame.

I had the opportunity to tour the Roush pit area during practice for the Miller 400 (NASCAR) a couple of years ago. The crew cheif mentioned at that time that the full up tube chassis that are used in NASCAR are only about as stiff as a Ford Taurus.

Guest the_dj
Yeah and while we are at it, give me Pam Anderson as a co pilot and a million bucks in the console!

Your wish is granted http://entertainment.msn.com/news/article.aspx?news=125876 :lol:

That's some VERY interesting stuff about weight and strength guys. :)

Looks like I'll stick to a cage (how many points?) and subframe connectors for strength on top of the unibody. :)