HybridZ

Check out the New Car Craft!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The May 2002 issue has lots of info on EFI swaps, including the Ramjet 350 and an LT1. it could be a big help to any of you contemplating this type of swap. rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

I saw that issue, the best part of the magazine is the ragging they gave the Fast and the furious.

I think the Hybrid V8 Z is the simplest answer to the Euros.

I have yet to do it, but when I do I am going to put "Born in Japan, raised in the USA" on my license plate.

I cannot see myself getting my rocks off in a Honda, much less that annoying bee sounding engine.

Oh yeah the EFI was a good issue, but when they compared big block EFI to Carb, they said it was about even.

Not in my book they had all sorts of sensers blocking smooth fuel transfer as well as a weak arse intake.

The way I see it, if your gonna build up a carb 454, then put real life hipo parts such as a team G intake and a dominator, not some skimpy carb.

Stupidest wording used in the Fast and Furious movie.

"I need NOS, better make that 2 bottles" WTF?

:confused: I have the issue. Car Craft does get into more nitty gritty than a lot of the other car mags. Couldn't find where they commented on the F & F movie. What page was that on? Would like to show it to a ricer friend. tongue.gif

Guest triple_threat311

Along the lines of the stupid things said in Fast and the Furious, Could anyone here explain the reasons for double clutching when you are drag racing? It was my understanding that the only time you double clutch in a race car was when you downshift. If you drive a semi, that is a different story but if you drag race, its balls to the wall the entire time right? It is much faster to powershift correct? Jeez I really hate that movie.

anthony

Guest Anonymous

Theres no logical reason for double clutching, the thing that is sad, I overheard some kids chatting about racing while in the stands at Firebird Raceway, asking if he double clutched when he beat that guy (whoever that was). Think the movie industry doesn't have some power on impressionable younger people? I wouldn't have a problem if they gave them good info, and not:

"Hey we need a line here, what should he say"

"Ummm, lets see someone say something, I donno automotive."

"Umm, gosh I've never raced cars, hell I was in art school what do I know about cars..."

"I got it, use the phrase 'double clutch'!"

"Whats it mean?"

"I donno, I just heard it from some truckers once, it doesn't matter they won't know, they'll think its something cool to do..."

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

I'd wondered about that too...

I mean, I double clutch in my 89 Honduh all the time in 4th and 5th. But it's not for super fast shifting or anything like that. It's because last year a seal around the cv shaft broke, all my tranny oil leaked out, :eek: and the synchros for 4th and 5th got slightly fried. :rolleyes: So if I don't want to grind gears through 4th and 5th, I have to double clutch it, or time it juuuuuuust right. bonk.gif

I finally got another tranny but haven't gotten around to installing it. smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Double clutching!! The term originated years ago for pumping the clutch twice down shifting to a lower gear and reving the motor in an attempt at a smooth shift transition into the lower nonsyncronized first gear. In 1950's old vehicles it was almost impossible to get in first gear downshifting from 2nd or 3rd without grinding the gears into low or first gear. You also performed the art of double clutching in shifting worn out transmissions with bad syncros.I learned to double clutch in a 1952 Willys Jeep. I got so good at reving the motor in preparing the transmission for the gear change that I could upsift into second and third gears without the clutch which was almost like having a "slush" (automatic transmission) The worst combination a young fellow could have was a "slush and six" especilly if it was a Rambler. A "columbia clutch" was a free wheeling overdrive in 3 speed transmissions in all gears including reverse.

I would offer up a yes and no to double clutching only being to a lower gear. Having the luxury,(or sentance depending on how cool you thought it was at 16), of driving a '30 Model A to high school. I double clutched both ways,(hmm....bi-clutching...naw, sounds wrong.)

If you held the clutch in while upshifting normally, the engine would take forever to come down in RPM enough to match the gears. Hence, how I was originally taught how to double clutch. Clutch in to pull out of gear, pedal back out and wait.......... Clutch pedal back in to engage gear. The "art" was the other way, knowing how much to rev the engine up on a downshift and not crunch the gears.

Enough of dating myself,(wait, I'm not even that old!).

-Bob

Guest Anonymous

I can't believe theres so much drama on this "Double Clutch" thing.

Think about it....double clutch.

I have a 6 speed, and I cannot remember double shifting...I do remember "down shifting" to 4th and 3rd...but double clutching?

I think they are just trying to be funny, considering the "steel plate" on the floorboard fell of at 140mph.

Welp no more 160mph runs...my bottem end might come off.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz what is that noise? Oh its just a Honda with a pipe.

Guest Jeff Rimmer
Originally posted by teamcruz racing:

I think they are just trying to be funny, considering the "steel plate" on the floorboard fell of at 140mph.

Welp no more 160mph runs...my bottem end might come off.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz what is that noise? Oh its just a Honda with a pipe.

Although I completly agree with all of you on the false technical aspect of the movie, I disagree with your notion of import cars and their stereotypical sound. I know that many people with their Honda do infact cut their coil springs, install a pipe and call themselves racers, howver there are those that do infact take import racing seriously, and that buzzing sound may infact be 300HP in a Honda. Sure that may be a rare occurance, however those people do exist behind the stereotypical Bzzzzzz....

I believe it to be of importance that we not forget that our Zcars are infact import cars despite their perhaps SBC or BBC engines and the like. I for one respect the people who PROPERLY modify and attempt to race these little sub compact import cars.

Forgive me if I have offended anyone, it was not my intent, I jsut feel it necessary to mention.

Off the topic here, but I wanted to say hey to Jeff. I spent 4 months in Borden Ontario Base. It was definately one of the best summer's I ever had. I spent many a weekend in Barrie, I have never seen a city with so many bars. I couldn't believe some of the parties at Wasaga Beach, truly a summer of fun and sun 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gifrockon.gifrockon.gif

Guest Jeff Rimmer
Originally posted by clint78z:

Off the topic here, but I wanted to say hey to Jeff. I spent 4 months in Borden Ontario Base. It was definately one of the best summer's I ever had. I spent many a weekend in Barrie, I have never seen a city with so many bars. I couldn't believe some of the parties at Wasaga Beach, truly a summer of fun and sun 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gifrockon.gifrockon.gif

Hey! Yeah Barrie is a great place to party! You should be at Wasaga for Import fest!!! This summer should prove to be even bigger! The cars and display women are 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gifrockon.gifrockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

I am not offended, simply because I don't drive a Honda, much less a poser car.

Sure the Zcar is an import, but in its time, even then there was not the big exhaust, useless short throw shifters and other things that seem to make these import racers think it actually is fast.

Just last night I was at Sonic with my girl in her Honda Civic EX and this Acura integra with a high rear aluminum wing looks at us and peels out, hmmmmmm I am thinking...what is actually going on in that guys mind.

I guess it is safe to say, there are more poser racers in the import world than in the domestic world.

I simply bought the Z car to put shame to the import world, sure it is originally an import car (built in Nebraska, lolol) but it is the domestic art that takes place in modifying these imports.

So what am I saying? I can take a skimpy oriental man and make him work out, learn different languages and pick up women left and right, mold him.

So theres goes my saying for my Z " Born in Japan, raised in America"

Now my Corvette, no need to mold anything there, it itself is an american icon, and does not have a problem reaching 160mph, nor does it need NOS.

See the difference? Thats why it is called Hybrid Z.

And not to be rude, but I can almost bet your one of them guys that drive a Honda with a pipe smile.gif

Last time I saw a Honda run 10's in the 1/4 it spun out at the end of the track.

Last time I ran a 10 in my Camaro, I simply ran again..and again....and again.

To be fair,I think that poser racers have been around for quite a long time.

Long before imports were considered anything but puddle jumpers,there were guys with cavaliers,sunbirds and berlinetta camaro`s to name just a couple popular ones,with monza exhaust and aluminium mags who thought they had a race car.

And even before that there were guys with cutlass supremes,malibu`s and camaro`s with air shocks fat rear tires and cherry bombs who thought they had the badest car around.

That said, Never in my life have I seen the arrogance that the ricer croud shows. Maybe it`s because they have spent so much money on their cars that they think,It has to be fast.

Or maybe they just haven`t been spanked quite hard enough yet :D Well rest assured I will not rest until every one of them that pulls up next to me at a red light gets the a$$ beatin of their life. twak.gif

I promise rockon.gif

cant forget about those guys in the 5.0s

ill be the poser in the 87 firebird with the top tops and the windows down whipping a figure 8 when you laugh at me. you see me and youre like :D then im sideways and youre like hail.gif