HybridZ

Help with Ground-Control Install

I have tried searching but my questions weren't answered. I have a '72 240z and recently purchased a set of GC coil overs with replacement Tokico HP struts. I don't plan on sectioning the struts. The GC instructions are not very detailed and I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Where exactly do I need to cut off the stock spring seat? I don't have the strut housings out yet to minimize down time. Does the threaded sleave just rest on the supplied perch ( once the perch is welded )? Any advice would be great! I don't plan on doing everything myself.I work with a few welders that could weld this for me.[/img]

You should have gotten an illustration that gives a dimension from the top of the strut tube to the top of the new perch (the ring you weld on that the threaded collar rests on). If not e-mail Ross Corrigan and have him send it to you. Even if you didn't buy them from Ross he will help. I had to completely remove my old perches, grinding off the weld bead, so the collar could slip down past them.

cut off the perches above the welds, grind the welds off carefully to have a smooth finish. Then line up the sleeves, and weld on the new perches accordingly for the sleeves to sit on. You can also call ground control, and have them fax you directions

Thanks for the help guys. I do have the illustration sheet from GC. I understand I need to cut off the stock spring seat and weld the new sleeve seat from GC. The only part I'm unsure about now is how the threaded collar joins the perch....Does it just sit there held together with the compression or does that need to be welded together too?

Thanks.

In each GC tube you should've gotten a little rubber ring. That ring goes around the strut housing, and the sleeve goes over it. This creates a tight seal preventing the sleeve from rotating. Otherwise it just sits right on top of the perch, supported by the weight of the car. Here's my setup for reference

front_suspension_installed.jpg

I didn't get a rubber ring with my kit. I got the metal perch that needs to be welded to the strut housing(4), the threaded sleeves with adj. nuts, springs, and aluminum top pieces. I think I'll call GC again and ask them if I'm missing pieces. :idea: Thanks for the help. That picture helps alot!

I didn't get my coil overs from GC, but I do have the problem of the sleeve just spinning while I try to adjust the spring seat, which is rather annoying. I'm curious as to how big the o-ring is, Not the ID, but the OD, or just the thickness of the ring itself. I'm going to try to get one from the hardware store, but what is the size?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok thanks! I received the rubber o rings from GC that were missing from my kit. That answers some of my Q's. Also, when you remove the stock spring perch from the strut housing, are you supposed to cut all the way through the tube..? ..or just cut the perch. I've seen pics of it done both ways... :?:

BTW: I'm not going to section.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...