HybridZ

MSD 6A, how to wire with '81 turbo setup?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

I have the 6A, Blaster 2 coil, and tach adapter, not the tach adapter most people seem to have with four wires though, this one only has two, red and white. I got a good look at the turbo motor that's going into my '72, and noticed that the ignition system was quite different from either the '72's or from the '80 N/A ZX that I used to have the MSD installed in. Was hoping I could get someone here to give me wiring directions to set this thing up so I dont fry anything like I did installing it into the 240 :P

Guest bastaad525

I know how to wire one into an N/A ZX, as that's what I used to run this one in. Problem is the Turbo ZX's ignition system seems to be set up quite a bit differently from the N/A's was, so I dunno if it would be the same setup. I just dont want to fry anything :)

my thinking was it goes between the ignitor and coil :?: I've not done it but I'll be working on that next month or so. I got me a Z31 MAF setup :D

No, I would expect the MSD can drive the coil directly using the ignition signal from the ECU. I can't answer the wiring specifics, but the trigger transistor (what people call the"ignitor") will not be needed. I would think you should run an MSD coil as well.

I used an MSD 6 with an '81 turbo FI system - wired it to the coil just as in the instructions for a "points" type ignition.

I don't have a diagram with me, but I remember that the wires to the coil were removed, then the white wire of the MSD went to the wires that came off the NEG coil terminal, and the red wire went to the wires that came off the POS terminal. Then the orange wire went to the coil POS trminal, and the black wire went to the coil NEG terminal.

I left the ignitor transistor in place.

I actually tried to trigger the MSD directly off then ECU output without the transistor and it didn't work.

I did use an MSD Blaster coil

The setup worked really well.

I had to use an MSD tach adaptor to make the 280Z tach work, and remove the resistor in the tach signal line.

Guest bastaad525

kewl, sounds about exactly how I have it set up right now, except, I am running an '80 ZX N/A electronic dizzy, but i had to remove and bypass the module on the side of the dizzy, and run the purle and green wires from the MSD into the two wires from inside the dizzy that used to go to the module, and I dont have to use the tach adapter, I just run an aftermarket tach off the msd. I gotta find my manual for this thing...... I'll look up what you're talking about Speeder just to be sure that's how I have it now.

OK, sounds good. I would have thought the ECU would have enough drive to trigger the MSD by itself, but it sounds like it doesn't, and you need the transistor trigger. Also, maybe the MSD needs a ground signal to fire, and the ECU is going to send a positive level to fire, so the transistor may just be necessary to perform a logic inversion.

Bastaad,

The non -turbo distributors can utilize the magnetic pickup wire (green & purple) of the MSD. The ZX turbo's distributor is not compatible with this input so you've got to use the white wire trigger.

Guest bastaad525

the small gauge white wire from the MSD, which normally you would hook to the wire that was hooked up to the coil negative right? That's the one that in the manual it tells you to either run the white wire OR the purple and green, but not both, right? Havent' been able to find my manual yet btw, but I think you guys have got me pointed in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

on a n/a you would set up your tach adapter between the original wires blk/white(+) and the blue (Signal)

the msd has four wires other then the 12v and blk ground

orange and blk are the only ones that will touch the coil

then you have the red and white

these colors are the same as on your tach adaptor

the tach adapter has split wires the red connect to the red from the msd and the b lk/white from original wiring. the blue wire (Original) connects to the white on both the msd and tach adapter

The wire for you tach if original should also connect to the power side blk and white (try to run from msd first)

the reason that you have the tach adaptor on the n/a"s even if you have a autometer guage is that the injectors fire from the same signal.

i hope this helps and write back if you have more questions

Guest bastaad525

so I may still need the tach adapter for the turbo motor..... no prob I do still have it, figured I'd need it at some point. I had already tried to use it in the 240 before so the mounting holes are still there too. Thanks for the refresher monster I couldn't remember for the life of me how the MSD used to be hooked up to my old ZX.